Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 113Thanks
    bobwilson
    venting about annoying people
    • 15th May 18, 5:11 PM
    venting about annoying people 15th May 18 at 5:11 PM
    We asked for a quote from our plumber to fix our shower. He had good reviews online. The person who turned up on the doorstep looked like a 17 year old teenager.. He turned up by bus and had a school satchel on & no tools with him. He could barely speak english & said "is there hard shop?".. meaning to ask if there's a hardware shop nearby. He only came to quote & decide if he can do it or not. This was a free quote. He quoted me 70 to fix the shower, so I expected to at least take him an hour. I lent him a screwdriver, he fixed it in 5 minutes (apparently nothing wrong with it- just a piece of litter fell down in the wall and got stuck in the control dial)- he then asked for 70. I was gobsmacked. Then it turned out he's not even a plumber and doesn't normally do plumbing, he said he just "feel luck".

Today, a man quoted me 170 to fix a window latch. That then increased to 180, but when I questioned, it went back down to 170 for no reason. I couldn't understand the price since it apparently is a 5 minute job. He said he could do it for 150 (minus 20% tax on labour) if I pay him in cash. I asked him why 20%- tax including NI comes to 33% deductions. He said "I pay tax every day it's 20%". It isn't 20% of course, a quick look on listentotaxman.com will tell anyone that. When he discovered he didn't need the 90 parts, he quoted me 80. (but 150-90 = 60, not 80).

I hired someone else to fix the window, he said he'd charge me 80 including parts if it needed fixing, but he wouldn't know until he's seen it open. He arrived 30 mins late, spent 2 mins opening the window with a crowbar no less, then discovered there's nothing wrong with the latch, it didn't need fixing (just needed lubricating which I did myself). He then asked for 80 for that 2 mins. I clarified "I though you said it would be 80 if it needed fixing. It doesn't need fixing or parts, so wouldn't it be less than that?" he said no, he "fixed it". He then insisted on cash & even drove me to a cash point to get the cash for him.

I swear the world is getting worse, and people are becoming more ridiculous as time goes on. You're almost held hostage to these people because it's close to impossible to find anyone who wants to charge an honest amount or be reasonable these days. I understand people will have a minimum call out charge, but they didn't- the first window man was in the area & second window man was on his way somewhere and I was en-route. They didn't lose any time by doing this (well, 2 mins).
    Last edited by bobwilson; 15-05-2018 at 5:19 PM.
Page 2
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    owen_money
    You're conveniently missing off the fact that several professional plumbers took a look & didn't know how to remove the shower thing to reach the dial, and I didn't realise taking a crowbar to the window wouldn't shatter it. As it happened, the child knew about the shower dial, and the window men didn't care whether they broke the window or not (presumably they'd have just left me windowless). So it's not quite as "simple" as you make conveniently make out. You're also not really aware of what I'm doing in my life at the moment- perhaps I'm up to my neck in other DIY things because I can't find builders? You just can't assume the way you are. Unless- would you like to give me your number & you can come over and do these tasks, since you think they're so "basic"? Thought not. I suspect I've done a lot more DIY in my life than you ever have.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    Personally I'd always hire a school boy to do DIY jobs, although I must insist he had his own satchel and told him mum where he was going.

Bob, dont worry about being windowless, you dont need windows, you could use Linux, its free and plus the school boy could install it for you, for a small fee.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    owen_money
    You know next to nothing about my life, for all you know we just moved here a month ago, spent our life savings & made a big mistake. We could both be desparate. You just don't know. Perhaps moving here resulted in me having to take time off work to deal with everything? Perhaps we spent so much in tax & savings and are now stuck in negative equity, that we can't move? Then again, perhaps we can move, and we're just here for the fun of it. You just can't assume, about other peoples' lives, Takman.

If you think your advice is so great, then what are you doing on this forum instead of on some island on a beach living it up somewhere? From my experience, it's those who assume about other people's lives & are quick to offer (bad) advice, it's those who actually lead the worst lives of all.
    Bob, sorry to hear you've had to take time off work for your private problems, I hope it all clears up soon. In the meantime if you need any help, just ask. You're not a failure just because you need some help, we are here for you.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    You're conveniently missing off the fact that several professional plumbers took a look & didn't know how to remove the shower thing to reach the dial, and I didn't realise taking a crowbar to the window wouldn't shatter it. As it happened, the child knew about the shower dial, and the window men didn't care whether they broke the window or not (presumably they'd have just left me windowless). So it's not quite as "simple" as you make conveniently make out. You're also not really aware of what I'm doing in my life at the moment- perhaps I'm up to my neck in other DIY things because I can't find builders? You just can't assume the way you are. Unless- would you like to give me your number & you can come over and do these tasks, since you think they're so "basic"? Thought not. I suspect I've done a lot more DIY in my life than you ever have.
    " Conveniently make out" not" make conveniently make out".
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    owen_money
    Not sure on all this grammar, maybe we need a school boy plumber to help, does anyone know one? Must have own satchel
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    Has someone been on the Colombian marching powder?
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    owen_money
    Has someone been on the Colombian marching powder?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Whats that?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    Whats that?
    Originally posted by owen_money
    Something that can make you angry
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    owen_money
    Something that can make you angry
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Oh right okay
    • takman
    • By takman 16th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    takman
    You know next to nothing about my life, for all you know we just moved here a month ago, spent our life savings & made a big mistake. We could both be desparate. You just don't know. Perhaps moving here resulted in me having to take time off work to deal with everything? Perhaps we spent so much in tax & savings and are now stuck in negative equity, that we can't move? Then again, perhaps we can move, and we're just here for the fun of it. You just can't assume, about other peoples' lives, Takman.

If you think your advice is so great, then what are you doing on this forum instead of on some island on a beach living it up somewhere? From my experience, it's those who assume about other people's lives & are quick to offer (bad) advice, it's those who actually lead the worst lives of all.
    One minute you seem to be earning 80+ an hour and don't have the time to do DIY and the next you've done more DIY in your life than I have and have spent every penny you have moving to a bad area.

One thing i do know is that I have saved thousands of pounds over the years by fixing problems myself and I have never hired someone to fix something where the end solution has been as simple as oiling something or removing litter.

So if you think saying you should DIY something is bad advice then I definetly disagree and has worked out very well for me.

The "professionals" dont know everything (especially if you hire cowboys). There is so much information available online (including videos) that your usually only 15 minutes of research away from knowing the solution to a problem. I've found the solution to countless problems and fixed them using this method.

Your right I don't know your exact circumstances (I can only post based on information you provide). But i think the best advice is to always attempt to find a solution to a problem yourself instead of by default hiring a tradesperson, especially if you don't have an established relationship with one.

If you were a family member I would happily come and fix these kind of problems and I have done this regularly for older members of my own family. But as you rightly say I wouldn't do it for a brand person online who probably lives across the other side of the country!.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6,856 Posts
    • 14,925 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Why did my post disappear I was just venting that someone had annoyed ME today? Isn!!!8217;t that the point of the post?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter