Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 15th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 127Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Are searches always necessary when buying a home?
    • 15th May 18, 2:10 PM
    Are searches always necessary when buying a home? 15th May 18 at 2:10 PM
    I know some cash buyers in certain circumstances choose not to get a survey done when buying a house, but how common is it not to get the searches done?

You can easily pay 200 or more for searches. Would you be mad not to get them done if you have found your dream property in an established residential area and have already made up your mind that you are going ahead with the purchase regardless?
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 15th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 15th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:18 PM
    Probably just as common to not get searches done as not get a survey done.

If you know the area well and are a cash buyer they can be a waste of money.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 4,601 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 15th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:34 PM
    If you know the area well and are a cash buyer they can be a waste of money.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    But in the grand scheme of things and all the money you're spending on buying somewhere, they're a drop in the ocean.

I appreciate that 'every little helps', but there's a fine line between that and knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing....
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 15th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 15th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:38 PM
    I have bought without a survey or searches, firstly if you have a mortgage then you will need to have the searches.. The reason I did not do searches is I was buying cash and I had already bought a few houses round the corner so a lot of it was covered by those searches.

I also know the estate as family have also bought in the estate and the builder I use lives in the estate so we know exactly what all the potential problems are and what to look for and what to expect.

For most purchases searches will be needed and I would suggest unless you are pretty hot on buying or working on property you also get a survey done, especially if the house is pre-1960's.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 15th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 15th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:50 PM
    Many areas that you wouldn't automatically think of being within a coal mining area are often historically so.

In relation to a mining search that also gives you an indemnity within the cost of the search that could prove valuable should you need the services of the coal authority regarding mineshafts.

I appreciate this isn't a consideration for lots of people but it is very eye opening as to how many towns that you wouldn't normally think would be affected actually are.

As with most things searches are a case of you pay your money you take your choice
    in S 40 T 64 F 61
    out S 58 T 67 F 74
    2017 -32
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 11,542 Posts
    • 13,365 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:56 PM
    I bought without a survey or searches. Survey because AFAICS the major constituent of surveys is "the bleedin obvious" and caveats, and searches because I lived 5 minutes walk away and knew the area. I was a cash buyer though.
    • sheepy21
    • By sheepy21 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    sheepy21
    • 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    My aunt bought my grandmothers house without doing searches, she was a cash buyer and we're local so it wasn't necessary
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 15th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:20 PM
    Different country but when I sold my first house in the US, the buyers didn't bother with searches based on the rationale that if there were any untoward issues they would have been discovered when I bought the house 3 years earlier. On the face of it that seems a reasonable position to take.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 15th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:25 PM
    Different country but when I sold my first house in the US, the buyers didn't bother with searches based on the rationale that if there were any untoward issues they would have been discovered when I bought the house 3 years earlier. On the face of it that seems a reasonable position to take.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    ... Assuming everyone is as decent and honest as you are, dunroving? Admittedly, I know nothing about house buying/selling in the US but guess it cannot be so different from here, is it?

P.S. Please, just what the darn heck is "escrow"?

Apologies if this is a "hijack", OP; good luck to you.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    From failing memory an escrow account is where money is held ready to be paid out on completion (closing). I vaguely recall that it's protected in a similar way to how renters' deposits are held in a protected account these days.

I'd describe the US system as being about halfway between the English and Scottish systems in terms of complexity/straightforwardness.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 16th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 4,601 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    P.S. Please, just what the darn heck is "escrow"?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    It's what google and wikipedia are for, that's what.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th May 18, 10:05 AM
    • 9,078 Posts
    • 9,672 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Originally posted by dunroving
    If that logic applied then presumably nobody would check anything ever? There may be some confusion about what "searches" we're actually talking about.

Also in the US I believe they're more fond of just insuring against everything rather than checking titles / public records etc, so perhaps you were covered in ways which you wouldn't be in England/Scotland.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 64,983 Posts
    • 381,367 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think most buyers just have the searches done because it's all a bit unclear what it's for, but it sounds important ... but they don't know what sort of things they could be "saved from" by having them done.... so, in the bigger scheme of things, you just say to the solicitor "yeah" as that seems to be "the thing you do"....

Even on this thread nobody's said "Ah, searches - they are .... for .... and you might .... and they might say ...." - it seems that most people aren't clear on what they actually are, or why, or how important, or not, they could be, for some people..... so it's easier to just say "yeah" unless you're clear/confident/local.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 16-05-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 16th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    If that logic applied then presumably nobody would check anything ever? There may be some confusion about what "searches" we're actually talking about.

Also in the US I believe they're more fond of just insuring against everything rather than checking titles / public records etc, so perhaps you were covered in ways which you wouldn't be in England/Scotland.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I think their rationale was that searches had been conducted so recently that nothing was likely to have changed in the intervening years. They were also quite familiar with the area (small college town), and I think had a rental property so were at least fairly familiar with buying property in the area.

Not sure I'd be so confident to make the same assumption that they did.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I think most buyers just have the searches done because it's all a bit unclear what it's for, but it sounds important ... but they don't know what sort of things they could be "saved from" by having them done.... so, in the bigger scheme of things, you just say to the solicitor "yeah" as that seems to be "the thing you do"....

Even on this thread nobody's said "Ah, searches - they are .... for .... and you might .... and they might say ...." - it seems that most people aren't clear on what they actually are, or why, or how important, or not, they could be, for some people..... so it's easier to just say "yeah" unless you're clear/confident/local.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I agree with this. Not sure it is the same now but I can remember when having a "National Coal Board" search was compulsory, even in areas which had been agricultural and suffered no mining of any kind for centuries. I guess the powers that be thought technology might advance to the point where minerals hitherto undiscovered were miraculously revealed. More likely, it was just a racket.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter