Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Singleparent
    • By Singleparent 15th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Singleparent
    Parent benefits
    • 15th May 18, 1:23 PM
    Parent benefits 15th May 18 at 1:23 PM
    Hi all,
    This is my first post and i really hope someone can give me some help!
    I explain breafely my situation.

I am i29 year old and I've moved here in the uk may last year. My partner has a child (5 year old) from a previous relationship, and she is claiming house benefits as a single parent. She works and live in Scotland, while i work all around the UK with my main base in the west midlands. I go to visit her mostly during the weekend, however we do not live together on a permanent basis and I do not contribute to pay house rent and so on as I am renting my own place down in England atm.

Becasue of the nature of my job I must change location and accomodation quite often (ive starded in oxfordshire, and now im in birmingham). This can create some problem when someone is asking me for an address, as i may end up changing it very often. To solve the problem the natural solution would be provide my girlfriend address, as that's the only place i feel confident to receive letters and communication without the risk of missing them, on top of that i will have to move soon my residence from Italy to the UK, and convert my driving licence to EU to UK as well. both operations require me to provide an address, and my girlfriend address would be the best one as it is the only one that will not change in the future.

Now....does anyone of you have an idea if registering some important document like driving licence as well as the residence at my girfliend house could cause any trouble in her benefits claim?
    Can this be considered as a change in her circumstance even if i do not live there?
    Would it be another proof of adress (rent contract in birmingham) enough to prove the council that i do not live there and therefore not affecting her finance?

It theory it shouldn't be a problem as it is a purely practical solution and not a change in her lifestyle and financial circumstance, but I want to be 100% sure that this will not create her any issue with the benefits claim before doing anything.

Best Regards
    S.
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 29,795 Posts
    • 76,360 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 15th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:27 PM
    To solve the problem the natural solution would be provide my girlfriend address

Now....does anyone of you have an idea if registering some important document like driving licence as well as the residence at my girfliend house could cause any trouble in her benefits claim?
    Originally posted by Singleparent
    Once your details being registered at her address are flagged up, it will be assumed that you are living as a couple and she will have a hard job to convince the authorities that she isn't committing fraud by claiming as a single person.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 15th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 30,945 Thanks
    Ames
    • 15th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:51 PM
    I agree with Mojisola, it's a bad idea for your girlfriend.

Also, I believe it's an offence to have an address on your driving license that isn't where you live.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Singleparent
    • By Singleparent 15th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Singleparent
    • 15th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:17 PM
    unfortunately it is a very difficult situation to manage for me as my job requires me to move often and I end up renting places fro 5-8 months and then moving away where they need me, the problem is that there is such a big amounts of documents that must be updated. bank statement, phone bill, car logbook, car insurance, and so on. everytime is a pain so I was just trying to figure out a solution. I will however listen to your suggestion and opt for the safest solution, I would never want to put my girlfriend in such a bad position where she has to provide evidences with the council and so on .
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 6,022 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 15th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:39 PM
    I too believe that your driving licence needs to have your usual address on it. If you move every few months you have to get the address updated every few months. Bank statements etc are a different matter but, as has been said, giving your girlfriend's address is not a good idea. It will almost certainly set alarm bells ringing with DWP, local council etc.
    • Singleparent
    • By Singleparent 15th May 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Singleparent
    • 15th May 18, 3:02 PM
    • 15th May 18, 3:02 PM
    I've been able to have a chat with someone in the local council, they also suggested me to avoid it if possible, in order to avoid unpleasant situation with benefit being blocked and so on.

Thanks everyone for the hint
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,413Users online

Martin's Twitter