Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bignose2
    • By bignose2 15th May 18, 10:37 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bignose2
    Lloyds Credit Card Fraud day issued, week after 1st fraud
    • 15th May 18, 10:37 AM
    Lloyds Credit Card Fraud day issued, week after 1st fraud 15th May 18 at 10:37 AM
    Hi,
    Not sure what to make of this & not having a go at Lloyds but concerned.

Week ago security SMS saying suspicious payment. Sure enough someone had my card details & spent 1000. Lloyds very good, refunded & sent new card. Had this card well over a year & whilst generally don't store on line there may have been some. Paypal for sure does have the full details.

Got new card yesterday, authorised. 5 hours later SMS saying suspicious payment. Sure enough 200 to Hungry House (of all things).
    A hour waiting on phone, got through, advise that I have probably had keylogger on my PC.

The only place I had entered the new card number at all was re-registering with PayPal.

I am pretty tech savvy and frequently check for virus's anyway. Windows 10 & defender meant to be pretty good. Also since last week fraud I have actually run more Full scans, Adwcleaner, google chrome scan. Have done this also now & not found anything.
    I know these are not 100% but would think keyloggers likely to be picked up so I really don't think it is my PC is compromised.
    Partly as they would have also had my Paypal password and I think even my bank log in & nothing gone from there.

However I guess Paypal must be one of the most secure sites so at a loss to explain.

Of course changed all my passwords (using a different PC, chromebook)

The banks are pretty relaxed about this making me think it is so common, some time ago my Amex had one fraudulent payment, I phoned, they said, Oh yes we know about it, not your fault, don't worry.

Just putting it out there is case anyone has any ideas or similar experiences.
    I trust my postie & I don't think they can tell what is what now.
Page 1
    • Eagles1905
    • By Eagles1905 15th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Eagles1905
    • 15th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:50 AM
    Sorry to hear you've been a victim of fraud, I went through this back in 2014 and it was a nightmare. Main bank very good & credit card provider excellent - all funds recovered.

I took additional steps after such as contacting CIFAS and other anti-fraud agencies - so far so good. I also monitor my credit file monthly and check for any suspicious activity.

These people are very clever at picking up details, to date I have not confirmed how I was compromised but best guess is postal interception as used to live in a flat block with an easy to access mail area!

Hope that's the last of it for you.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 20,980 Posts
    • 16,753 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:13 AM
    If you haven't run Malwarebytes in addition to the other scans then I don't think you should be too confident there is nothing nasty on your computer.
    • bignose2
    • By bignose2 15th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bignose2
    • 15th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:55 PM
    Hi,
    Yes I had run Malwarebytes, I run it in conjunction with Adwcleaner (same company now) I use to have it in the background but when it went to V3 caused all sorts of issues on my network & lots of other bugs but still good for runtime scan.

Tried a few others from bleeping computer also.

All clear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,036Posts Today

7,928Users online

Martin's Twitter