Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 15th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 266Posts
    • 109Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair reduces check-in window to two days - unless you pay to reserve a seat
    • 15th May 18, 10:18 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair reduces check-in window to two days - unless you pay to reserve a seat 15th May 18 at 10:18 AM
    Budget airline Ryanair is reducing its check-in window from four days before flights to two days from Wednesday 13 June - unless you buy a reserved seat...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair reduces check-in window to two days - unless you pay to reserve a seat'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 16-05-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • mswallace
    • By mswallace 15th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mswallace
    • 15th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:33 AM
    Just pay to reserve your seat, it's not going to break the bank is it.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 13,253 Posts
    • 11,255 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 15th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:26 PM
    Thanks for the warning. Not such a big deal these days with most people having smartphones and so can easily use the Ryanair app with free roaming or wifi to checkin and get their mobile boarding passes.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 15th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    VT82
    • 15th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:25 PM
    Call me all the names you like about not being a true money-saver... but I refuse to even look at Ryanair flights on comparison websites anymore. A holiday is not a holiday if it starts with a feeling of dread in your stomach as you arrive at the airport, worrying in case you have fallen foul of one of Ryanair's many underhand tactics. This kind of unnecessary, spiteful profiteering just further proves it.

If you think I'm soft because 'if you just follow the rules, you'll be alright', then save your words; just be glad that I'm leaving more of the cheap seats for you.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 15th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 9,871 Posts
    • 8,007 Thanks
    prowla
    • 15th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:36 PM
    Most airlines only allow check-in on the same day, don't they?
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 15th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 15th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:33 PM
    Originally posted by prowla
    Within 24 hours.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th May 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 2,155 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 15th May 18, 2:35 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:35 PM
    Originally posted by prowla

But those airlines also allow you to check in at the airport free-of-charge.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 15th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 7,827 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 15th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 15th May 18, 4:15 PM
    Already a thread on this (started before this one)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5842884
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 16th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gerry1
    • 16th May 18, 1:03 PM
    Use of rip-off 0871 number for Customer Service is ILLEGAL !
    • 16th May 18, 1:03 PM
    MSE says "If you do want to cancel, Ryanair says you must notify it by Saturday 19 May Ė you can do this by calling its customer service team on 0871 246 0000."

Why isn't MSE making a huge fuss about

1. Ryanair changing the rules in the middle of the game (can they legally do this?); and

2. Using an 0871 Service Charge number costing up to 68p per minute for Customer service purposes in breach of the Consumer Contracts: Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments Regulations 2013 ?

It seems that MSE or Ryanair have quoted the wrong number. The 0871 number is for NEW bookings, where it is legal to use a rip-off number provided that the mandatory Ofcom price warning is also given. However, Ryanair have the Basic Rate number 0330 1007 838 for post booking enquiries.

I'm disappointed that MSE haven't spotted this.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 16th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 15,433 Posts
    • 40,245 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    I thught Ryan Air/O'Leary made a big statement a couple of years ago about how they were goinhttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/02/ryanair-credits-being-pleasant-to-customers-for-profits-riseg to be nicer people to deal with.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 63,248 Posts
    • 370,413 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't even know what this is/means... how can you check in if you're not there? To me, the language "check in" means "Hello, here I am, standing in front of you, so I can check in, to get onto the plane I expect to shortly be viewable through the windows".

You can tell I've never flown .... and I never expect to as it's really not my level of affluence to travel where a plane would be required.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 13,253 Posts
    • 11,255 Thanks
    zagfles
    I don't even know what this is/means... how can you check in if you're not there? To me, the language "check in" means "Hello, here I am, standing in front of you, so I can check in, to get onto the plane I expect to shortly be viewable through the windows".
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It used to mean turning up at the airport desk, showing them your tickets and passports, giving them your bags, being asked if you have any nuclear warheards or other prohibited items, and being given a boarding pass with an allocated seat.

These days you can "check in" online often several weeks before the flight and get your boarding pass online.

Ryanair charge you loads extra if you check in the traditional way at the airport. So the only sensible way is to do it online. But they are trying to make it difficult for people who don't buy extras like seat selection.
    You can tell I've never flown .... and I never expect to as it's really not my level of affluence to travel where a plane would be required.
    Seriously?? Ryanair have flights under a tenner. I've had a return to Dublin for 2p They fly to places that are far cheaper than the UK.

If you ever go on holiday in the UK, or even a weekend away, you'll likely find you can do it for the same sort of price or cheaper with a flight on a budget airline to a cheaper country.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 17th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Already a thread on this (started before this one)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5842884
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    MSE hijacked my thread..............
    • Gillane
    • By Gillane 21st Jun 18, 5:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gillane
    Was wondering if now there is only a two day window for checking in, is it possible to reserve a seat and therefore be able to check in before you leave for the return leg of your journey only?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

2,241Users online

Martin's Twitter