Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eMundey
    • By eMundey 15th May 18, 9:46 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    eMundey
    Kia Picanto vs Fiat 500
    • 15th May 18, 9:46 AM
    Kia Picanto vs Fiat 500 15th May 18 at 9:46 AM
    Hi,
    I've booked in my second attempt of my driving test and I'm looking at cars for lease to own on a particular website that helps lower young driver's insurance.
    I'm looking at two particular cars: the Fiat 500 1.2 pop 3dr (or the 1.2 Pop Star Eco - advise?) and the Kia Picanto 1.0 2 5dr. They are similar prices to lease; I believe the kia is around £5 a month more. I'm looking for a car that would be easy to drive as a young first time driver and with the best MPG (Given this factors into amount of times I'd have to fuel up - I'm not very car savy!) and something that I could use for a long, long time (the kia comes to mind?)
    My thinking is that I actually prefer the aesthetics of the kia, the 7 year warranty is appealing, the safety ratings are very good and I've heard the MPG is good? But the fiat's size is desirable for manuvers and such, it is less to lease - not by much but it adds up, the kia's clutch is allegedly quite difficult to handle whereas the Fiat seems easier to dive and the insurance is around £200 - £300 cheaper than the kia

Any help would be fantastic If I've made any car boo-boo's please excuse me!
Page 2
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 16th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 7,815 Thanks
    GunJack
    or...

..buy a cheapie car (£500-ish) that'll cost less to insure, and save what you would spend on leasing towards your insurance..new drivers spending £1000s on first cars is barking IMHO, as when you prang it you're left in an often unaffordable situation..write-off a £500 car, just go get another..

oh, and buy heavily-weighted to insurance costs, i.e. pick a car that'll save you £3-400 on your first year premium, which will have paid for the car.

Did the above for the oldest - got a suzuki wagon R+ for £450, as the insurance was minimum £500 lower than other (fiesta, corsa, polo, 206, etc.) so effectively paid for the car. He bought the car, first-year insurance and tax, and still had change from £1900, with no black-box needing fitting either. He put it through it's second MoT last month, for in total £250. So, 2 and a half years of car for £700.

Compare that to your leasing costs
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,067 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    it was a courtesy car with around 5k miles on it, having driven both the 4 cylinder kappa is by far the smoother and more refined, very very quiet at idle, whereas the 3 cycling could still hear the engine and feel vibration through the wheel. the 1.25 is far better all rounder.
    Originally posted by mr_accountant
    Can't say I've found this in my wife's. 65 reg 7500 miles on the clock.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Can't say I've found this in my wife's. 65 reg 7500 miles on the clock.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    11,000 on mine and I'd agree with you, in fact so would the trade magazines:-

https://www.whatcar.com/hyundai/i10/hatchback/review/on-the-road/
    The 1.0-litre engine is exceptionally hushed for a three-cylinder. In fact, itís actually quieter than the four-cylinder 1.2 much of the time.
    Even Top Gear liked it:-

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyundai/i10/driving
    Itís all about quality here - the overriding impression you get from the i10 is one of refinement. This is a city car with a big car feel Ė wind noise is well-suppressed, the engine note is muted and thereís minimal tyre roar. Itís so good that you wouldnít think twice about doing a long motorway journey in it. We really mean that.

There isnít a diesel available in the i10, but the two petrols have got just about enough torque to make decent progress. Our choice would be the 1.0-litre, because the three-cylinder has got more character and feels no slower.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,248Posts Today

7,473Users online

Martin's Twitter