Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 4strings
    • By 4strings 15th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    4strings
    Need dual fuel but nothing to compare prices with.
    • 15th May 18, 9:45 AM
    Need dual fuel but nothing to compare prices with. 15th May 18 at 9:45 AM
    Hey folks!
    I'm in the process of moving to a new home and am presently in rented accommodation where I only have to pay for electricity which I don't use a huge amount of. The heating and water is inclusive of the monthly rent. I'll be moving to a place with both gas and electricity and so I really don't have any worthwhile figures to use as a comparison for switching. Any advice on what my best ploy is, who the best dual fuel deal is? BTW it'll just be me so I do hope my usage will be low. I'm in Dorset if that makes any difference

Thanks
    Mark
Page 1
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 15th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 19,299 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 15th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:02 AM
    How big is the new home as the size will determine how much the cost is to heat it. How new is it? How warm do you want to be? How long would the heating be on eachday?

Everything will effect the answer.

Most switch sites will base it on Bedrooms if you say you do not know how much you use.

Best advice is to pick a supplier with a low unit rate for both Gas and Electric and a lowish standing charge. Also go for a fixed rate for say a year.

Read your meter once a month and work out how much it is costing you. If you provide the supplier with these monthly usage figures they will be in a better position to estimate how much you should be paying.
    • 4strings
    • By 4strings 15th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4strings
    • 15th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:16 AM
    Thanks Merlin139.

I do think I'll be low usage. It's a 2 reception, 2 bed bungalow, 50's build.

I guess I just need to look at the various companies rates and see what looks best as you say. It's just the joy of digging through all the various sites to try and find relevant prices that I'm not looking forward to!
    • macman
    • By macman 15th May 18, 10:22 AM
    • 41,889 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    macman
    • 15th May 18, 10:22 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:22 AM
    Why go to different sites? It takes about a minutes to do a comp site check. you need 1) your postcode, and 2) your estimated annual kWh usage on each fuel. There is no universal 'best', or we would all be on it. It depends on region and usage.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • 4strings
    • By 4strings 15th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4strings
    • 15th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:32 AM
    Why go to different sites? It takes about a minutes to do a comp site check. you need 1) your postcode, and 2) your estimated annual kWh usage on each fuel. There is no universal 'best', or we would all be on it. It depends on region and usage.
    Originally posted by macman
    The problem I have is that I am currently electricity only but moving to a dual fuel place and currently have no gas data to use in a comparison. I have no idea even try and guesstimate a figure for the gas (central heating, cooking, hot water).
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 5,036 Posts
    • 30,323 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 15th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:31 PM
    OK Uswitch gives you an option on number of bedrooms.

My consumption is
    Elect 3,200 kWh per year, oven cooking once a week.
    Gas 12,500 kwh per year heating, water. 3 bed house. Well insulated.

Add more to gas if not insulated.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • 4strings
    • By 4strings 15th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4strings
    • 15th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:42 PM
    OK Uswitch gives you an option on number of bedrooms.

My consumption is
    Elect 3,200 kWh per year, oven cooking once a week.
    Gas 12,500 kwh per year heating, water. 3 bed house. Well insulated.

Add more to gas if not insulated.
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Thanks! That gives me a good guide to work with
    • Terresa
    • By Terresa 15th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Terresa
    • 15th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 15th May 18, 3:27 PM
    Thanks Merlin139.

I do think I'll be low usage. It's a 2 reception, 2 bed bungalow, 50's build.

I guess I just need to look at the various companies rates and see what looks best as you say. It's just the joy of digging through all the various sites to try and find relevant prices that I'm not looking forward to!
    Originally posted by 4strings
    Have you even tried to consult a comparison site?
    • 4strings
    • By 4strings 15th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4strings
    • 15th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 15th May 18, 4:22 PM
    Have you even tried to consult a comparison site?
    Originally posted by Terresa
    Yup, I'd had a look but when asked for either a value or quantity of gas used in the past year, I had nothing to go with at that point.

Now I have something I can work from courtesy of Blackbeard I have been on Uswitch. Interestingly I didn't add my phone number in the requested details, yet I still got a call from them later. I think they used my email address to find it. Naughty.
    Last edited by 4strings; 15-05-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    • Terresa
    • By Terresa 15th May 18, 6:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Terresa
    Yup, I'd had a look but when asked for either a value or quantity of gas used in the past year, I had nothing to go with at that point.

Originally posted by 4strings
    Really? Almost all, if not all, energy comparison websites offer you assistance when you say you don't know your annual consumption.

Much better to allow them to help you than use some made up data, or someone else's data
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin