Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Purple fiend
    • By Purple fiend 15th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 453Thanks
    Purple fiend
    Renting in Scotland
    • 15th May 18, 9:37 AM
    Renting in Scotland 15th May 18 at 9:37 AM
    Hi

I recently paid a deposit to secure a flat in Dundee, but then found out later that day that the letting agent had taken another 4 deposits from others who had viewed the flat after me. They said they were leaving it up to the Landlord to choose.

Is this allowed in Scotland? Deposit was paid on Friday am and by Monday about 5 I was told that I didnít get the flat. They have now had my money all weekend, and I still have to wait several days to get my money returned. Now, I donít the funds to put a deposit on another flat.

How is this allowed?

Make £10 a day in March - £182 / £310
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 15th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 9,929 Posts
    • 13,510 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 15th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:47 AM
    Inform agency that you require money back immediately or Sheriff Court action and First Tier Tribunal.
    • coffeecrisp
    • By coffeecrisp 15th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    coffeecrisp
    • 15th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:13 PM
    This sounds at best incredibly rude and unethical, and at worst illegal. I've had a quick look myself and it's not easy to get a clear answer. The rules around holding deposits aren't as clear because they don't have to be "protected." However, all the sites I've looked at state that the landlord should only ask for a holding deposit if they are committed to renting the property to YOU (pending reference checks).

I would get in touch with Shelter or CAB, and also leave a review on Google or a speciality letting agent review site to warn people from dealing with these crooks.

The letting agency also sounds incredibly stupid. They could have easily taken the money off multiple people, and told the unsuccessful people "sorry your checks didn't satisfy us" before arranging to give the money back. The fact that they presumably admitted they did something this dodgy is baffling.
    • Purple fiend
    • By Purple fiend 15th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Purple fiend
    • 15th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 15th May 18, 6:26 PM
    Thank you, emailed asking for money back quoting the First Tier Tribunal and money was back in my account within half an hour.
    Make £10 a day in March - £182 / £310
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter