Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allthe7s
    • By allthe7s 15th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 335Thanks
    allthe7s
    Freezing interest Q
    • 15th May 18, 8:12 AM
    Freezing interest Q 15th May 18 at 8:12 AM
    Morning

I have got myself to a point that I can only afford to pay the minimum amount for my 2 Santander cards.

If I asked them to freeze or reduce the interest for a while (which they would probably say no to anyway) but if I asked, would that affect me negatively in any way in future credit searches? (Not that I am planning any but I would hate to be refused credit when I've always been fine before)

Thank you

7s
Page 1
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Suseka97
    • 15th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:34 AM
    I think you'll find that many people who are struggling to meet their financial obligations can only, just about, afford the minimums and I can see no reason that they would agree to treat you as a special case. Unfortunately credit card companies almost rely on people not paying off their balances on a monthly basis and hence 'profit' from the high interest rate they charge.

Perhaps as a first step you should look at ways to cut down on non essential spends (if that's doable), if not then maybe talk to a debt management company - a free one, not one that charges for their services (e.g StepChange, Payplan) for some advice.

You say you're not planning to take out more credit, but if you are struggling financially, then there is a good chance you will, so do get some advice before your situation gets any worse. You can also go and have a look at some online resources, such as North East Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau (NEDCAB) which many such as myself have used to good effect over the years.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / 85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / 11k o/s
  • National Debtline
    • 15th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 15th May 18, 4:11 PM
    Hi allthe7s

It is likely your credit file will be affected if your creditors agree to freeze interest, but if you have no other way to start making a dent in your debts it's still worth considering.

It's also worth being aware of new rules introduced by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) on how credit card companies must help people who are only paying the minimum repayments on their debts. The rules were introduced on 1 March 2018, and credit card companies have until 1 September 2018 to comply. You can find the details here
    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/new-credit-card-rules-introduced-fca.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

20Posts Today

3,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin