Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • By The-Nomadic-Thespian 15th May 18, 12:56 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    The-Nomadic-Thespian
    In need of advice please: Looking to buy a house between Leicester and East London (Barking)
    • 15th May 18, 12:56 AM
    In need of advice please: Looking to buy a house between Leicester and East London (Barking) 15th May 18 at 12:56 AM
    Dear MSE Forumites

Iím an FTB, Iím single on a salary of 32k and have savings amounting 150k. I wanted to ask fellow forumerites a few questions to aid me in my quest to get on the housing ladder.

1. With what Iíve detailed above, what price range should I be looking at for houses (not interested in buying anything else). Iím thinking houses priced up to range of 300k?

2. I have family both in Leicester and East London (Barking area) that I would need to regularly commute to once or twice a week. Therefore, I am looking for areas in between the two areas mentioned to make purchase. Now having lived in East London all my life, Iím rather clueless as to what areas I should look at that are decent and what areas to avoid. I would like a bit of greenery and areas that are preferably multicultural. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in kind.
    Last edited by The-Nomadic-Thespian; 15-05-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Page 1
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 15th May 18, 5:05 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    TheBanker
    • 15th May 18, 5:05 AM
    • 15th May 18, 5:05 AM
    Do you have to go to a workplace every day? If you do, you should take this into account.

Will you be travelling to Leicester and Romford by train or car?

What size house do you want/need?
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
    • noh
    • By noh 15th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    noh
    • 15th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:26 AM
    Romford is not in SE London!
    • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • By The-Nomadic-Thespian 15th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • 15th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:30 AM
    Do you have to go to a workplace every day? If you do, you should take this into account.

Will you be travelling to Leicester and Romford by train or car?

What size house do you want/need?
    Originally posted by TheBanker

Hello! I intend to travel between the two areas by car, but would like good commuter links to London as I work there.

Being single, I'm I ideally am looking, as minimum, a 2 bed house.

Thanks!
    • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • By The-Nomadic-Thespian 15th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • 15th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:32 AM
    Romford is not in SE London!
    Originally posted by noh
    I'm a dunce. Have corrected!
    • noh
    • By noh 15th May 18, 8:40 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    noh
    • 15th May 18, 8:40 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:40 AM
    I'm a dunce. Have corrected!
    Originally posted by The-Nomadic-Thespian
    Nor is Barking in SE London.

Both it and Romford are East London.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 19,152 Posts
    • 17,573 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:42 AM
    The obvious answer is the N London/Herts/Bucks/Beds corridor up the lower end of the M1/M40/A1. Lots of daily rail commuters into London, no need to go round/through London to head to Leicester. As you move outwards, rail fares go up, house prices go down.

MK/Watford/Chesham/Wycombe/Aylesbury/Bedford/Newport Pagnell/Stevenage/Luton would be the first thoughts to start searching around.
    • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • By The-Nomadic-Thespian 16th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The-Nomadic-Thespian
    • 16th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:40 PM
    The obvious answer is the N London/Herts/Bucks/Beds corridor up the lower end of the M1/M40/A1. Lots of daily rail commuters into London, no need to go round/through London to head to Leicester. As you move outwards, rail fares go up, house prices go down.

MK/Watford/Chesham/Wycombe/Aylesbury/Bedford/Newport Pagnell/Stevenage/Luton would be the first thoughts to start searching around.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Will be grateful if someone can give insight as to which areas are good and which to avoid. I haven't heard great things about MK and Luton. Also, given the budget, is it worth looking at houses that are priced around £325k?

Much obliged.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 19,152 Posts
    • 17,573 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:55 PM
    I think you're going to have to go and start looking. RM at first, to see what's in your budget, but there's really no substitute for actually going to towns.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter