Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samlee0211
    • By samlee0211 14th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 3Thanks
    samlee0211
    turning down redepolyment
    • 14th May 18, 9:45 PM
    turning down redepolyment 14th May 18 at 9:45 PM
    Hi

Just a quick question if possible for a possible scenario that may occur.

My partner could potentially be put at risk of redundancy/redeployment. they have been with the business 14 years. The same job will become available for redeployment but is a 80 mile round trip extra, roughly 200 per month in fuel extra. Also wouldn't be able to pick the children up from school and drop them off to after school club so additional costs involved arranging that.

If this job is offered as 'suitable alternative employment' and it was refused, what would the odds of getting the redundancy pay over them seeing it as an acceptable offer?

thank you
Page 1
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 15th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 15th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 15th May 18, 12:03 AM
    Just my opinion but i don't think that additional distance would be reasonable therefore it's not a 'suitable' alternative, leaving redundancy the only valid option. However you might end up having to go to a tribunal to prove it.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 15th May 18, 7:27 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    nyermen
    • 15th May 18, 7:27 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:27 AM
    As I understand, it's assessed based on additional time / cost rather than distance itself. I'm assuming both are also impacted so it shouldn't be an issue as its not a "suitable alternative"

Our office only moved about 10 miles across london, but the additional time & cost to some was big (logistically due to moving from an office with parking to one without - along with tube connections etc.) so the company paid both a reducing travel cost adjustment to all, plus offer of redundancy to any journeys increased by more than 30 minutes each way (if i remember correctly).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off 20k + Interest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,727Users online

Martin's Twitter