Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bored
    • By Bored 14th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 353Thanks
    Bored
    How soon can I buy a flat?
    • 14th May 18, 9:13 PM
    How soon can I buy a flat? 14th May 18 at 9:13 PM
    I've recently moved back to my parent's house after years of renting in order to save for a flat. While I am grateful for the opportunity to live here and save a large chunk of my paycheck, it is not an ideal situation and I am keen to move out as soon as possible.

How early can I start the process? Do I need to wait until I have at least 5% in cash of the total property purchase? Or could I get a mortgage in principle agreed sooner and make an offer while I am still saving?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:17 PM
    You can get a mortgage in principle and make offers while you are still saving.

There is quite a lot of stuff to go through before you pay big money - finding a place; getting an offer accepted; getting a survey done; getting the searches done. This all takes several weeks.

You will need to have the funds to exchange contracts, as that is when you will need to pay the deposit.

Remember to factor in things like stamp duty and solicitor's fees.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 14th May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 14th May 18, 10:46 PM
    You will need more than 5% of the properties total value as you may need 10% deposit to get a mortgage. Then you have to pay all the fees on top of that.
    • Bored
    • By Bored 17th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Bored
    • 17th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:01 PM
    You will need more than 5% of the properties total value as you may need 10% deposit to get a mortgage. Then you have to pay all the fees on top of that.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I was hoping to get a 95% mortgage and save for the fees as I was looking for a flat and sorting the associated paperwork, etc - do you not think that this would be feasible?
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 17th May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 17th May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:40 PM
    95% mortgages have come back onto the market, so this is possible.

You will pay a higher interest rate for a 95% mortgage than a 90% mortgage. You can always remortgage in a few years when you've built up more equity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

817Posts Today

6,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Baldsaint: @MartinSLewis We were on a cruise to the West Indies and America (sun, sun, sun and even more sun) when the beast from the e?

• RT @MikeHoxard: @MartinSLewis I always want some rain at home when I am away so may garden is okay when get back ... so is that gardenfraud?

• This is a technical article, but it's a good primer to help understand why a change to accounting practice being di? https://t.co/vKOa8Zm3OI

• Follow Martin