Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Breezecomm
    • By Breezecomm 14th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Breezecomm
    Axa Asbestos and Contents
    • 14th May 18, 8:58 PM
    Axa Asbestos and Contents 14th May 18 at 8:58 PM
    I have recently discovered asbestos in my home. Most of it is well maintained and some isnt.

My insurance policy doesnt specifically state that asbestos is not covered however the insurance company are unwilling to contribute anything towards removal or contaminated furniture.

My policy is a axa home safe.

Ive raised a complaint but I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience of asbestos and insurance.
Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 20,520 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    The removal is not covered by home insurance costs.

The cost of removal is down to the householder as a normal cost of maintaining your home
    • Breezecomm
    • By Breezecomm 14th May 18, 11:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Breezecomm
    • 14th May 18, 11:13 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:13 PM
    Is the above correct and who makes the call?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 15th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 15th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:55 AM
    As the householder the call is yours - what is your concern ?

Asbestos was used in many forms up till the 1990's - it's in artex, floor tiles, kitchen sinks. Left alone its no problem and no health risk.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 15th May 18, 6:59 AM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 15th May 18, 6:59 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:59 AM
    Yes it's correct. Home insurance policies are usually defined in terms of the things they do cover, not the things they don't cover. So if there is no mention of asbestos removal it means that asbestos removal isn't covered.

Or looked at another way, your policy will have several sections - fire, storm damage, accidental damage etc etc. Which section do you think asbestos removal ought to be covered under?

As a general rule insurance covers unexpected events which cause damage to your home. It doesn't cover ongoing maintenance or the fact that your home was defective in the first place. Similarly if you bought a house with knackered 1930s electrics you couldn't claim on your insurance for the cost of rewiring.

Did you get a proper survey done when you bought the house and did the survey warn you of the asbestos? If not you might have a claim against the surveyor.
    • Breezecomm
    • By Breezecomm 15th Jun 18, 10:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Breezecomm
    • 15th Jun 18, 10:20 PM
    • 15th Jun 18, 10:20 PM
    Had the asbestos removed, and re-plastered

Thanks everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,633Posts Today

9,132Users online

Martin's Twitter