Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Regan55
    Scammed from TSB
    • 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    Scammed from TSB 14th May 18 at 8:51 PM
    My son has been the victim of an elaborate phone/bank scam and has been scammmed out of almost 30k.

Not sure how much I can, or dare put on here, as the whole sorry saga, which is still ongoing, has left me very suspicious.

Can Anyone help
    Last edited by Regan55; 14-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Page 5
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 11:47 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Regan55
    Another vague article that doesn't explain how they knew who he banked with, passcodes, passwords, phrases etc.

When you reset a banking login they usually do it via email or post.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

I!!!8217;d love to be a smart !!!! like you Gary. Hey ho.

Just google it. !!!55357;!!!56900;
    Last edited by Regan55; 17-05-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    • FriendlyFoe
    • By FriendlyFoe 17th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    FriendlyFoe
    Sounds pretty run of the mill. OPs son likely replied to a phishing email. From there the fraudsters got his DOB, name and bank account info. They used that to do a username reminder, SIM swap with Vodaphone and then a password/ memorable word reset with a SMS or phone call to the new SIM card.

Straight forward refund from TSB then.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 31,629 Posts
    • 19,952 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Sounds pretty run of the mill. OPs son likely replied to a phishing email. From there the fraudsters got his DOB, name and bank account info. They used that to do a username reminder, SIM swap with Vodaphone and then a password/ memorable word reset with a SMS or phone call to the new SIM card.

Straight forward refund from TSB then.
    Originally posted by FriendlyFoe
    Only option I see as the cause for it.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 17-05-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 17th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Have you read post 36 above?
    Originally posted by badger09
    It was a store in London. They won’t release cctv to me.
    Originally posted by Regan55
    The vagueness and ambiguity of the location of the store makes me further still doubt your situation.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    AndyPix
    It all seems too convenient.

They knew he was on Vodafone.
    They knew his phone number.
    They knew who he banked with.
    They knew senstive and secure login details for said bank.
    They knew he had money in his accounts.

Get the picture now?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

All these details are sold every day on undergroung websites - they are called "fullz"
    They are collected by hackers , bin divers and phishers who sell them on in job lots to criminals who will put them to use - as the hard bit is extracting the money from the account.

Chances are that these details were bought, in say a "pack" of ten for around $20-$50 each
    It is then down to the buyer to extract money from the account (if there is any there)

That is the hard part.

In this case the sim swap technique has been used

Other techniques include transferring the contents of the account to a payee that is already verified
    (victims friend for example)
    And then spoofing a text message to that friend saying "!!!! iv just transferred you 5k by mistake - be a love and transfer it back to this account number xxxxxxx ..

This stuff happens every day - Im not sure why so many of you find all this so hard to believe
    Last edited by AndyPix; 17-05-2018 at 9:05 AM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 17th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Regan55
    The vagueness and ambiguity of the location of the store makes me further still doubt your situation.
    Originally posted by deadendwaterfall
    That is all I was told by Vodafone...........done in London. They are not going to tell me which store. I’m surprised they even told me that.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 31,629 Posts
    • 19,952 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Have the police asked for the cctv ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 17th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Regan55
    All these details are sold every day on undergroung websites - they are called "fullz"
    They are collected by hackers , bin divers and phishers who sell them on in job lots to criminals who will put them to use - as the hard bit is extracting the money from the account.

Chances are that these details were bought, in say a "pack" of ten for around $20-$50 each
    It is then down to the buyer to extract money from the account (if there is any there)

That is the hard part.

In this case the sim swap technique has been used

Other techniques include transferring the contents of the account to a payee that is already verified
    (victims friend for example)
    And then spoofing a text message to that friend saying "!!!! iv just transferred you 5k by mistake - be a love and transfer it back to this account number xxxxxxx ..

This stuff happens every day - Im not sure why so many of you find all this so hard to believe
    Originally posted by AndyPix

Like I said earlier, I really don’t understand any of this tech stuff. I find it unbelievable myself........also find it unbelievable that some in here think I am making this sh it up......or suspecting me of “priming for a future scam”

Keyboard warriors everywhere
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 17th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Regan55
    Have the police asked for the cctv ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I was told to contact Action fraud, which is part of the police. Spoke to my local police station, and that’s what they advised. They are the only ones who can request the CCTV.

Action fraud told me the average time is 3 months before I could possibly hear anything.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Not really.

Not falling for phishing scams and properly shredding/destroying any post etc. are key here as well.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 18,574 Posts
    • 12,731 Thanks
    molerat
    The sim swap was most likely the last step to put to use all the information they had already gathered.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 17th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Like I said earlier, I really don’t understand any of this tech stuff. I find it unbelievable myself........also find it unbelievable that some in here think I am making this sh it up......or suspecting me of “priming for a future scam”

The key thing here is what your son did or didn't do.

Keyboard warriors, on mse

There is a lot of bleating by 'victims' of Internet bank fraud in the media who always think its the banks fault. So in this story there is not too much sympathy because the keyboard warriors, i.e. anyone who doesn't agree with you, think the fault lies closer to home. That should give you a reasonable idea of the kind of reaction you will get from the bank, authorities etc. so if genuine you need a more cohesive presentation of the facts.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I would be "bleating" too if i'd had my bank account rinsed ..

Wouldn't you ?

Who do these victims have to vent on if not the banks ? Although i totally agree it is not the banks fault either.
    It is entirely the fault of the criminals who perpetuate this stuff

OP - I feel for you/your son - but there is nothing anyone here can do to help you - I can only advise that you will get your money back - however you will have to make a lot of noise to your bank and the police - and it will take some time ..

Good luck
    Running with scissors since 1978
  • Vodafone
    Ref... #18694238
    Hi Regan55,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've got your email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 18th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Regan - could it be connected to this in some way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844170
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 20th May 18, 10:58 PM
    • 4,333 Posts
    • 14,890 Thanks
    Westie983
    Just a question? Do mobile shops give out Sim cards over the counter, I would have thought they would have sent a sim to the registered address and then get it activated once recieved, rather then handing one over to someone in a branch...

Maybe would have stopped this 'fraud' as they wouldn't have had access to the OTP code.

I ask as I have always got sim cards via the post even if I have gone into a branch location..

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £750/£1,000 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £11,872.59/£15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 31,629 Posts
    • 19,952 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Thread title should be changed to something other than "Scammed by TSB" since TSB weren't at fault
    • hangonthebox
    • By hangonthebox 21st May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    hangonthebox
    Thread title should be changed to something other than "Scammed by TSB" since TSB weren't at fault
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    The thread title is 'Scammed *from* TSB.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 21st May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    The thread title is 'Scammed *from* TSB.
    Originally posted by hangonthebox
    Either way, it's still incorrect
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin