Scammed from TSB

Comments

• Regan55
    Regan55 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Vodafone wrote: »
    Hi Regan55,

I understand that this is a concerning time for your son.

So I can get this matter looked into further, please ask him to email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating his query in the question box, he'll also need to quote "MSE Forum"

Once sent, he'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that I've received it.

Thanks,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media

Ref... #18694238
  • If the number was SIM swapped then on the "old" SIM there would be no signal

So how was he able to call them back?

Also they would need to know other details for his telephone/online banking - customer numbers, passcodes, memorable words etc.
  • Regan55
    !!! wrote: »
    If the number was SIM swapped then on the "old" SIM there would be no signal

So how was he able to call them back?

Also they would need to know other details for his telephone/online banking - customer numbers, passcodes, memorable words etc.

His old sim didn’t have a signal.......the new sim, was used to take over his phone. God knows how they managed to get his info for bank
  • Regan55 wrote: »
    His old sim didn’t have a signal.......the new sim, was used to take over his phone. God knows how they managed to get his info for bank

So how did he call Vodafone back off the back of the authorisation message?
  • Why would Vodafone send a text to a sim that someone standing in front of them in shop said isn't working? I could understand if doing this online or over the phone but face to face?
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CCTV in the Vodafone store? Time, date, place.

Authorisation request sent to old mobile but couldn't reply at the time so Vodafone went ahead with the sim swop anyway? Doesn't work like that. They would await the authorisation as well as ask for ID from the impersonator of the sim holder.

Lot of holes in this story and so I find it unbelievable.

How the hell 'they' found out his details including bank account log in details. Basically impossible without collusion:cool:

Blame TSB security, don't think so.
  • Regan55
    Why would Vodafone send a text to a sim that someone standing in front of them in shop said isn't working? I could understand if doing this online or over the phone but face to face?

His phone (original sim) had the usual comp generated message a minute after the attempt for another SIM card. Asking if he authorised it.

He, being in the Army, isn’t allowed his phone on him during the day, so by the time he got the message, the scammer was gone, with a sim to control his phone. He had to borrow a phone to phone 191
  • Regan55
    CCTV in the Vodafone store? Time, date, place.

Authorisation request sent to old mobile but couldn't reply at the time so Vodafone went ahead with the sim swop anyway? Doesn't work like that. They would await the authorisation as well as ask for ID from the impersonator of the sim holder.

Lot of holes in this story and so I find it unbelievable.

How the hell 'they' found out his details including bank account log in details. Basically impossible without collusion:cool:

Blame TSB security, don't think so.

Well Yorkshire........they did let someone walk out of the shop with a new SIM card.........and no, they did not wait until he could authorise it.

Not got a clue how they got/had his bank details, but basically when they were in charge of his phone.......they money started going, and the bank sends a “Is this you......enter this code” to his phone, which they now controlled.

You only have to look on-line to see the shambles TSB’s security is/has been. So yes.......I do chuffing well think so
  • Regan55
    !!! wrote: »
    So how did he call Vodafone back off the back of the authorisation message?
    By the time he was able to read message.........he had to use someone else’s phone to call 191
  • There's more to this than a "SIM-Swap fraud".

They would have to know his banking details as well as other bits of security information

Something doesn't seem right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport