Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Regan55
    Scammed from TSB
    • 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    Scammed from TSB 14th May 18 at 8:51 PM
    My son has been the victim of an elaborate phone/bank scam and has been scammmed out of almost 30k.

Not sure how much I can, or dare put on here, as the whole sorry saga, which is still ongoing, has left me very suspicious.

Can Anyone help
    Last edited by Regan55; 14-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Page 3
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Have you read post 36 above?
    Originally posted by badger09

I have thank you badger.

It has been done, for any good it will do.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Hi Regan55,

I understand that this is a concerning time for your son.

So I can get this matter looked into further, please ask him to email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating his query in the question box, he'll also need to quote "MSE Forum"

Once sent, he'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that I've received it.

Thanks,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Originally posted by Vodafone

Ref... #18694238
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    If the number was SIM swapped then on the "old" SIM there would be no signal

So how was he able to call them back?

Also they would need to know other details for his telephone/online banking - customer numbers, passcodes, memorable words etc.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 1:12 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    If the number was SIM swapped then on the "old" SIM there would be no signal

So how was he able to call them back?

Also they would need to know other details for his telephone/online banking - customer numbers, passcodes, memorable words etc.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

His old sim didn’t have a signal.......the new sim, was used to take over his phone. God knows how they managed to get his info for bank
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    His old sim didn’t have a signal.......the new sim, was used to take over his phone. God knows how they managed to get his info for bank
    Originally posted by Regan55
    So how did he call Vodafone back off the back of the authorisation message?
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 16th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Why would Vodafone send a text to a sim that someone standing in front of them in shop said isn't working? I could understand if doing this online or over the phone but face to face?
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 16th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    CCTV in the Vodafone store? Time, date, place.

Authorisation request sent to old mobile but couldn't reply at the time so Vodafone went ahead with the sim swop anyway? Doesn't work like that. They would await the authorisation as well as ask for ID from the impersonator of the sim holder.

Lot of holes in this story and so I find it unbelievable.

How the hell 'they' found out his details including bank account log in details. Basically impossible without collusion

Blame TSB security, don't think so.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Why would Vodafone send a text to a sim that someone standing in front of them in shop said isn't working? I could understand if doing this online or over the phone but face to face?
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    His phone (original sim) had the usual comp generated message a minute after the attempt for another SIM card. Asking if he authorised it.

He, being in the Army, isn’t allowed his phone on him during the day, so by the time he got the message, the scammer was gone, with a sim to control his phone. He had to borrow a phone to phone 191
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 2:35 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    CCTV in the Vodafone store? Time, date, place.

Authorisation request sent to old mobile but couldn't reply at the time so Vodafone went ahead with the sim swop anyway? Doesn't work like that. They would await the authorisation as well as ask for ID from the impersonator of the sim holder.

Lot of holes in this story and so I find it unbelievable.

How the hell 'they' found out his details including bank account log in details. Basically impossible without collusion

Blame TSB security, don't think so.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    Well Yorkshire........they did let someone walk out of the shop with a new SIM card.........and no, they did not wait until he could authorise it.

Not got a clue how they got/had his bank details, but basically when they were in charge of his phone.......they money started going, and the bank sends a “Is this you......enter this code” to his phone, which they now controlled.

You only have to look on-line to see the shambles TSB’s security is/has been. So yes.......I do chuffing well think so
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    So how did he call Vodafone back off the back of the authorisation message?
    By the time he was able to read message.........he had to use someone else’s phone to call 191
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    There's more to this than a "SIM-Swap fraud".

They would have to know his banking details as well as other bits of security information

Something doesn't seem right
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 16th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    His phone (original sim) had the usual comp generated message a minute after the attempt for another SIM card. Asking if he authorised it.

He, being in the Army, isn’t allowed his phone on him during the day, so by the time he got the message, the scammer was gone, with a sim to control his phone. He had to borrow a phone to phone 191

If the scammer had the sim and therefore could receive security code from TSB how could the scammer also log in to the TSB account and make the transactions transferring money out to new accounts?
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 16th May 18, 2:45 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Well Yorkshire........they did let someone walk out of the shop with a new SIM card.........and no, they did not wait until he could authorise it.

Not got a clue how they got/had his bank details, but basically when they were in charge of his phone.......they money started going, and the bank sends a “Is this you......enter this code” to his phone, which they now controlled.

You only have to look on-line to see the shambles TSB’s security is/has been. So yes.......I do chuffing well think so
    TSBs security has not been a shambles, I haven't seen any other claim of this.

TSB's attempted migration to another banking platform has been a shambles true.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    If the scammer had the sim and therefore could receive security code from TSB how could the scammer also log in to the TSB account and make the transactions transferring money out to new accounts?
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud

I wish to god I new.........he’s been a victim of ID fraud. So many details of other people’s bank accounts have been popping up, when some have logged on to there own accounts.

TSB’s security has been shocking recently........you’ve only got to google all the stuff.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    That still doesn't explain how they got his login details which would consist of a user id, password and memorable name/place etc. to enter
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 16th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    That still doesn't explain how they got his login details which would consist of a user id, password and memorable name/place etc. to enter
    TSB have the "3 random characters from a long word" method of security. Pretty hard to crack i'd imagine.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 18,776 Posts
    • 12,902 Thanks
    molerat
    TSB’s security has been shocking recently........you’ve only got to google all the stuff.
    Yes the security has been shocking, even using the correct log in and security details you could not access accounts !
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    But, you only have to read some of the cases that have popped up within the last month.........one guy has had money disappear, and an 8k loan taken out in his name.

I really wish I knew the answers, but TSB is deluged with calls, and only last night we called the fraud priority line we were given, and had to listen to the phone ring for 2 1/2 hours before someone picked up.......they are a bloody shambles at the moment, week 4
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 16th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Can't you and your son go and sit in his branch until he gets answers?
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 3:29 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Can't you and your son go and sit in his branch until he gets answers?
    Originally posted by Lungboy

We sat in a branch last Saturday when this was all discovered, the bank manager phoned the fraud line, and it rang constantly, 3 hours we sat there......had to leave when the bank was closing.........tried again when we got home, another 3 hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin