Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 14th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2,476Posts
    • 1,142Thanks
    greyteam1959
    0 WOW
    New Ryanair check in policy
    • 14th May 18, 8:10 PM
    0 WOW
    New Ryanair check in policy 14th May 18 at 8:10 PM
    New Ryanair check policy...............

Check-In Policy Change From Wed June 13th

Please note that for all flights from June 13th 2018 onwards, standard (free) online check-in will be available from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure. Customers who choose not to reserve their preferred seat, can check in online or on the mobile app free of charge from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure and will be randomly allocated a seat. (See Terms and Conditions below)

All Ryanair customers may buy a reserved seat online, both on the Ryanair.com website and mobile app from the time of booking up to 2 hours pre-departure and these customers can check in online anytime they so wish between 60 days to 2 hours before the scheduled departure time of their flight.
    Last edited by greyteam1959; 14-05-2018 at 8:27 PM.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th May 18, 12:38 AM
    • 3,927 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 15th May 18, 12:38 AM
    • 15th May 18, 12:38 AM
    How does it differ from the current policy?
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 15th May 18, 2:44 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    fifeken
    • 15th May 18, 2:44 AM
    • 15th May 18, 2:44 AM
    Check in opens 4 days before currently if you don't want to pay for a seat.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 15th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 5,751 Posts
    • 3,697 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 15th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:41 AM
    We now just buy seats. Its only a fiver each EW. Just saves a lot of hassle.
    Still normally much cheaper than the rest.
    • teddie2003
    • By teddie2003 15th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    teddie2003
    • 15th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:06 AM
    Old policy which was in use when I bought some tickets for a flight to Mallorca, was:

Check-in opening times vary depending on your type of booking.
    • Customers who purchase seats can check-in between 60 days and up to 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time.
    • Customers who don’t purchase seats can check-in between 4 days and up to 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time.

We had chosen the 2nd option as we were flying on the 1st and back on the 4th so could get both flights confirmed check-in before we left the UK.

Now they have now changed to customers who don't purchase seats to check-in 48 hours before flight, so have either got to pay for the seats on the return part or take a chance on booking them when we are abroad.

Obviously, the bean counters at Ryanair have realised that for short breaks people were not buying seats in advance and have decided this was a good way of clawing some more money back to help keep costs going up with another "add on" to the basic flight cost!

Love the way they give you the option for 5 days from the 14th May to cancel flight and get your money back, they know damm well that the flight is usually a small part of a weekend break and for the sake of £10.00 or so return they are pretty sure this will generate some extra income for the money grabbers in accounts!
    Val
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    Obviously, the bean counters at Ryanair have realised that for short breaks people were not buying seats in advance
    Originally posted by teddie2003

Meanwhile the bean counters on the MSE forum are up in arms as usual
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th May 18, 12:36 PM
    • 13,546 Posts
    • 11,507 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 15th May 18, 12:36 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:36 PM
    Old policy which was in use when I bought some tickets for a flight to Mallorca, was:

Check-in opening times vary depending on your type of booking.
    !!!8226; Customers who purchase seats can check-in between 60 days and up to 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time.
    !!!8226; Customers who don!!!8217;t purchase seats can check-in between 4 days and up to 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time.

We had chosen the 2nd option as we were flying on the 1st and back on the 4th so could get both flights confirmed check-in before we left the UK.

Now they have now changed to customers who don't purchase seats to check-in 48 hours before flight, so have either got to pay for the seats on the return part or take a chance on booking them when we are abroad.

Obviously, the bean counters at Ryanair have realised that for short breaks people were not buying seats in advance and have decided this was a good way of clawing some more money back to help keep costs going up with another "add on" to the basic flight cost!

Love the way they give you the option for 5 days from the 14th May to cancel flight and get your money back, they know damm well that the flight is usually a small part of a weekend break and for the sake of £10.00 or so return they are pretty sure this will generate some extra income for the money grabbers in accounts!
    Originally posted by teddie2003
    Yeah, usual Ryanair style, applying it to those who've already bought tickets under different T&Cs.

Assuming you've got a smartphone, why not just download the Ryanair app and check in online, now EU roaming charges are gone, or use free wifi which is easy to find nearly everywhere these days.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 15th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    brianposter
    • 15th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:29 PM
    We now just buy seats. Its only a fiver each EW. Just saves a lot of hassle.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Saves hassle may be the theory but booking two seats took about 5 hours for my last reservation.
    Website would not display the back half of the plane for two different reasons and I thought I would try to use "chat" to get to the bottom of the problem. Wasted half a day without success.
    • billypre
    • By billypre 16th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    billypre
    • 16th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:20 AM
    We booked for October & just checked flight prices & they are now 30% cheaper than when i originally booked. In theory i should be able to use this new Ryanair policy ro my advantage by cancelling my previous booking (penalty free) & then rebooking at the lower price. That'll work right?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 13,546 Posts
    • 11,507 Thanks
    zagfles
    We booked for October & just checked flight prices & they are now 30% cheaper than when i originally booked. In theory i should be able to use this new Ryanair policy ro my advantage by cancelling my previous booking (penalty free) & then rebooking at the lower price. That'll work right?
    Originally posted by billypre
    Can't see why not!! As it says in the MSE article
    However, if you're really unhappy and want to cancel your flight, Ryanair says you can do so penalty-free and get a full refund. Be wary of this though as prices for alternative flights may have changed since you booked !!!8211; if you're thinking of cancelling it's best to check prices elsewhere before doing so.
    Get one over on Ryanair! Brilliant!
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 16th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    And be quick before they change the rules yet again !!
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 16th May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gerry1
    Use of rip-off 0871 number for Customer Service is ILLEGAL !
    MSE says "If you do want to cancel, Ryanair says you must notify it by Saturday 19 May – you can do this by calling its customer service team on 0871 246 0000."

Why isn't MSE making a huge fuss about

1. Ryanair changing the rules in the middle of the game (can they legally do this?); and

2. Using an 0871 Service Charge number costing up to 68p per minute for Customer service purposes in breach of the Consumer Contracts: Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments Regulations 2013 ?

It seems that MSE or Ryanair have quoted the wrong number. The 0871 number is for NEW bookings, where it is legal to use a rip-off number provided that the mandatory Ofcom price warning is also given. However, Ryanair have the Basic Rate number 0330 1007 838 for post booking enquiries.

I'm disappointed that MSE haven't spotted this.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 19th Jun 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Ian011
    I'm disappointed that MSE haven't spotted this.
    Originally posted by Gerry1
    After all that has been said over the last fifteen years or more, I would have expected every MSE staff member to be hard wired to challenge all usage of 084 and 087 numbers mentioned in any press releases and to demand a different number - especially so in cases where the usage of the premium rate number is clearly illegal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

977Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Wow early days, only a couple of thousand of votes in, but so far the majority of both remainers and leavers on thi? https://t.co/qUMXXbeLOf

• RT @ej_mac: @MartinSLewis oh dear, how on earth do people come to such conclusions..... I voted leave, I read all Martins points and used t?

• Yay we have a poll bingo winner Everyone cross out your "hidden agenda/bias" squares on your cards https://t.co/LgPSfqzSB0

• Follow Martin