Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eyeofthetiger999
    • By eyeofthetiger999 14th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 30Thanks
    eyeofthetiger999
    Boiler advice needed please
    • 14th May 18, 7:01 PM
    Boiler advice needed please 14th May 18 at 7:01 PM
    Hi everyone.
    I have a powermax boiler which is approximately 18 years old. Every year it is serviced, I get the same advice of recommending changing the boiler to a new one and save approx 200-250 in gas bills. A few days ago the engineer quoted me 741 to replace 8 baffles(British gas). I have always used the principle "if it aint broke dont fix it", particularly if my gas bills are only approx 30 per month. I am planning to move house within the next 4 months and so have a dilemma. Should I :
    1) Do nothing, as the boiler, although inefficient, is still working and it wont effect a potential sale of the house.
    2) Do repairs(although get someone else to do!)
    3) Change the boiler,on the assumption that a brand new efficient boiler will increase the value of the house to the same value spent on it.

My house is a 4 bed detached house with value approximately 280k and the boiler has an efficiency rating of 74%.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 6,558 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    I am in the process of selling a property. The buyer!!!8217;s solicitor will want to see a copy of the last boiler inspection/service report. If I was looking at buying a property with an 18 year old boiler, I would probably get my own GSR engineer to check it. It might prove to be money well spent.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 25,637 Thanks
    jk0
    • 14th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 14th May 18, 10:47 PM
    I'd leave it alone. If anyone asked me for the last service sheet, I would forget I'd had the latest one, and just send last year's.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    jk0, not passing on the information you have is not moral behaviour. Encouraging others to do so is even worse! A smilee does not make it ok!

To the OP; if the baffles are not required for safety, I would leave them unrepaired.
    Last edited by tacpot12; 15-05-2018 at 8:04 AM.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 15th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 15th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:35 AM
    It might depend on demand for your type of property.

If people are queuing round the block for properties such as yours it most likely will make no difference, but if the market is more sedate then be prepared for the buyer to try and negotiate a price reduction on the grounds the boiler will need replacing.
    • macman
    • By macman 15th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    • 15th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:13 AM
    There is no requirement whatsoever to provide a gas safety certificate to the buyer. If the boiler works, just say they are welcome to have it inspected at their expense.
    To replace a working boiler just before you move out is insane: you will not recover the cost.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 6,558 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 15th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:47 PM
    Have a look at para 12. If that was left blank, then I would probably have some concerns that the buyer had something to hide.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/documents/TA6-form-specimen/

It is not a gas safety certificate. That is for landlords and tenants.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    An old type boiler will probably be better in a 4 bedroom house.

On paper a new boiler may look more impressive to a buyer.

I would keep the old boiler. You can always knock a bit of money off the house if they raise the issue. You have an idea what it costs.

And you won't have to deal with the trades people
    • BazzerPontefract
    • By BazzerPontefract 15th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BazzerPontefract
    • 15th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:54 PM
    I have a Powermax and I think it a great bit of technology.
    You'd have to be pretty expert to calculate the efficiency saving between a Powermax and the latest technology - 200 seems a bit excessive even for me, as my total gas bill is only 461, what a efficiency saving of roughly 50%, doesn't make sense.
    The Gas Engineers (how these guys qualify for the term engineer, is a puzzle to me) hate the product - my guess is it is non-standard therefore too difficult to get their minds around the product, and it might be difficult to work on.
    I love the Powermax so much I have just told my son to get the later Potterton Promax Store 150L which is the same chassis and casing but has system boiler technology inside.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 27,547 Posts
    • 13,516 Thanks
    Cardew
    The Gas Engineers (how these guys qualify for the term engineer, is a puzzle to me)
    Originally posted by BazzerPontefract
    A pet hate of mine! They don't qualify as 'engineers' - 'fitter' or perhaps 'technician'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin