Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    00hnwes
    Flies in my living room!!!
    • 14th May 18, 6:47 PM
    Flies in my living room!!! 14th May 18 at 6:47 PM
    Hi all,
    I need some advice.
    I live in a rented property and over the weekend my living room has become over run with quite big flies. I'm not sure as to where they are coming from but definitely not from any open doors or windows.

The property is a Victorian house and has old floorboards which have gaps and holes in them so I'm thinking they might be coming from there. There is also a chimney in the living room but it has been blocked up.

I killed at least 15 on Saturday and another 16 on Sunday and today another 6 so far !!!
    We tried spraying fly spray in the gaps in the floorboards but they're still coming. They seem to go towards the windows !!!

I've called my estate agent to let them know what has happened, do you think that was the right thing to do.
    Thanks a million!
Page 2
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Sheesh. There's no pleasing some people. You give them free flies, and all they do is complain.

Kids these days etc.
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 16th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    chou-chou
    This sounds exactly like we had a few times in our old Victorian terrace over about 10 years (and friends have also experienced). Most likely is that a rat has died somewhere under the house (maybe poisoned by a neighbour - Victorian house often have an open run underneath them where rodents can happily come and go between all houses in the row) and the flies that you're seeing have hatched out of it.

Not nice but but it will pass in a week or so. We had the massive blue bottle type flies and then a plague of smaller ones. Used fly paper and also bought one of the UV fly killers on Amazon. Not pretty but did the job.

We came to recognise the smell that would precede it (sweet/sickly as you've said, maybe a bit cabbagey), sigh and get ready for an invasion. Happened once in December and they were so dozy as it was cold that you could almost pluck them out of the air!

In the future, if you can track down where the smell is coming from you could lift a few floorboards and see if you can get to the corpse before it gets going!!

Worse things happen at sea remember!!
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 16th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    Hahaha! Apparently the flies are flesh flies...I hope they're right
    Got someone coming over to clean out the chimney. But I'm pretty certain they're coming from the floorboards.
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 17th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    So the chimney guy came over and there was nothing up there. Then the pest control came round, managed to find a couple of floorboards he could unscrew, as most of them are nailed in, and said there is definitely a dead mouse smell coming from there. However the estate agent is saying as the fly's are almost dead and docile I'll have to let it run its course. Is this a common response. As the pest control guy mentioned pulling up other floorboards but would need the landlords permission. I don't think I can stay in a house full of flies any longer
    • BusyBargainz
    • By BusyBargainz 17th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    BusyBargainz
    Same thing happened to us, we had no idea where they came from. We hoovered them all up in the end as they were all on the ceiling and walls and were pretty docile. Each day there were less and less and eventually they went away. Wasn't until we cleared out under the stairs we found a dead mouse that had clearly been there a while. Must have been that. Haven't had anything come back since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,189Posts Today

7,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin