Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    00hnwes
    Flies in my living room!!!
    • 14th May 18, 6:47 PM
    Flies in my living room!!! 14th May 18 at 6:47 PM
    Hi all,
    I need some advice.
    I live in a rented property and over the weekend my living room has become over run with quite big flies. I'm not sure as to where they are coming from but definitely not from any open doors or windows.

The property is a Victorian house and has old floorboards which have gaps and holes in them so I'm thinking they might be coming from there. There is also a chimney in the living room but it has been blocked up.

I killed at least 15 on Saturday and another 16 on Sunday and today another 6 so far !!!
    We tried spraying fly spray in the gaps in the floorboards but they're still coming. They seem to go towards the windows !!!

I've called my estate agent to let them know what has happened, do you think that was the right thing to do.
    Thanks a million!
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 14th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:51 PM
    They will go towards the windows as it's a light source.

Letting them know is fine but what are you hoping the letting agent will do?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 14th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:53 PM
    I live in a rented property and over the weekend my living room has become over run with quite big flies. I'm not sure as to where they are coming from but definitely not from any open doors or windows.
    Originally posted by 00hnwes
    Any smell of rotting food? Bluebottle type flies?

• C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 14th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    • 14th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:54 PM
    Sounds like Cluster Flies, we had them in our last house. They're a pain to get rid of but we bought some stuff of Amazon and we didn't see hardly any after that. Apparently they live in the walls of the house and come out when the weather gets warm.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 14th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:55 PM
    Is there a cellar?
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    • 14th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:57 PM
    I'm hoping that maybe they'll know how to deal with the problem better than me, as I've never dealt with this before. Also I didn't want the problem to get any worse and then get blamed that I didn't let anyone know about it.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 14th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:58 PM
    I would ask the landlord if it has happened before.
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    • 14th May 18, 7:05 PM
    No smell of rotting food. But there was an odd sweet/sickly smell a good few months ago but I though it may have been the rain.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 26,488 Posts
    • 15,730 Thanks
    xylophone
    These?

https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-strange-life-of-cluster-flies/#.WvnPqxMvw9c
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    No we done have a cellar
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    These?
    It looks like it could be these
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I use those long yellow sticky tape things for flies in the summer. They don!!!8217;t have the horrible fumes of fly!!!8217;s-Tay and they work.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 26,488 Posts
    • 15,730 Thanks
    xylophone
    But there was an odd sweet/sickly smell a good few months ago
    https://www.diy-pest-control.co.uk/latest/2017/03/how-to-get-rid-of-cluster-flies/

HOW TO TELL YOU HAVE CLUSTER FLIES

You will first notice a very sickly and rich smell .......
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 14th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 8,704 Thanks
    Callie22
    I had a similar problem a few years ago where a bird had fallen down the chimney and died. The fireplace was blocked but not very well and the flies were coming out that way. We cleared the fireplace (nasty job) , reblocked it and got the chimney fitted with a wire cap to stop it happening again.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 14th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    TheGardener
    My brother rented a farm cottage a few years ago and one day decided to go into the loft to see if it was suitable for storing suitcases etc - he was met by a sight something like the Amityville Horror It was quite unbelievable - they were hanging like bunches of grapes all over the rafters you literally could not see the wood there were so many of them.
    After shutting all the doors in the house (loft hatch on landing) he wrapped a towel round his face - put a headlamp torch on and armed with a can of flyspray in each hand stood on the top rung of the loft ladder and let rip with both cans in a scene reminiscent of Butch Cassidy - he empties both cans into the loft space - slammed the loft hatch shut and waited outside.
    There must have been gaps in the eaves they could get out of and it rained dead flies for the rest of the day. The farmer next door said it was a regular thing and something to do with poultry manure on the neighbouring fields...The joys of country living.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 14-05-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th May 18, 6:20 AM
    • 26,137 Posts
    • 94,858 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Cluster flies are more of a problem in country areas, especially in older houses with gaps at the eaves or nice cavities in the sash window frames to hibernate in.

Mine have already flown. They came out about a month ago, but if you're up north......
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • scriv
    • By scriv 15th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    scriv
    We live near farmland and we have Cluster Flies. They like spending the winter in our loft - they like wooden beams etc - and they come out when it's nice and warm. At least they don't breed inside, nor are they after food like the houseflies are. They hatch outside and live on aphids etc outdoors. They are also quite dozy, so can be zapped easily.

If we get too many of them in a given year, we have the local Pest Control out to go up and 'fugg' the loft. They are horrible, but harmless.
    • 00hnwes
    • By 00hnwes 16th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    00hnwes
    Thanks for all the advice, my estate agent has contacted pest control with some photos that I provided and they are going to get back to me. I'll let everyone know what they are and how it gets sorted as I can't add an image because I am a new poster !!!128578;
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Is the agent Foxtons? If so, expect them to require the flies' names to be added to the tenancy agreement.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 16th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    You probably have the body of the previous resident under the floorboards / a foxtons agent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

819Posts Today

5,796Users online

Martin's Twitter