Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 14th May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RobUK360
    Amazon Refuse Exchange
    • 14th May 18, 6:28 PM
    Amazon Refuse Exchange 14th May 18 at 6:28 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I have encountered a strange one from Amazon, I'm not sure if they can do this or not. I bought a monitor from them, less than 30days ago, which has a strange flicker on the screen in certain circumstances. I contacted Amazon and was told they can refund my money, but cannot do an exchange as the item is no longer available. I pointed out it is available, being sold by Amazon, I purchased it from Amazon also, not a 3rd party. They explain that my batch had been recalled due to problems, I asked what the issues were and they were unable to tell me. At this point I said well I'd like a replacement, they declined. Stating that the product was not stocked anymore, but looking at the site it is. He then explains that because I paid less, the price has now increased, by around 50, I can get a full refund and purchase the item again at the higher price, from Amazon. The same product they state isn't in stock. He also told me to contact Dell and see if they would replace it, but I'd rather Amazon do this as I purchased it from them.

So where do I stand on my consumer rights? I would like a replacement, especially as they have told me the batch has been recalled. I obviously don't want to have to send another 50 on the same thing.

I also got him to send me all this in an email. It's not quite what we discussed, but contains most of it.

Regards

Rob.
Page 1
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 14th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 14th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:32 PM
    As the product is faulty, you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. But it's the retailer's choice as to which you are offered. If they're offering a refund, then they're fulfilling their obligations. They don't have to sell you another for the same price. Sorry!
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    The only remedy you could insist on, given you're within 30 days of purchase, is a full refund.

You can't insist on a repair or replacement.
    • RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 14th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobUK360
    • 14th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:43 PM
    Thank you for your replies. Well that just seems unfair, but I guess there isn't anything I can do about it. I certainly am not going to return it to purchase for a higher price. I might try contacting Dell, see what they have to say. How would I stand legally on a refund from Amazon if Dell exchange the monitor, but in the future there are issues? Would I still be entitled to a refund if within the allotted time?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 14th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 14th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:52 PM
    No. If Dell was to exchange your monitor (and I doubt that they will) then your relationship with Amazon in regard to this monitor is at an end.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 32,556 Posts
    • 20,486 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:06 PM
    Thank you for your replies. Well that just seems unfair, but I guess there isn't anything I can do about it. I certainly am not going to return it to purchase for a higher price. I might try contacting Dell, see what they have to say. How would I stand legally on a refund from Amazon if Dell exchange the monitor, but in the future there are issues? Would I still be entitled to a refund if within the allotted time?
    Originally posted by RobUK360

Its not unfair, its what laid in the regulations.
    If you feel aggrieved by it then complain to those who can change consumer rights.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 15th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 5,076 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 15th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:38 AM
    I think this particular forum is reaching a new low when someone offered a full refund isn't happy with that.

You may want to contact Mchambers
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Zandoni
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 AM
    There's a chance That Dell might give you a refurbished model that may have the same problem. I'd send it back for the refund and keep my eye on the price to see if it's reduced at a later date.
    • RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 15th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobUK360
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 PM
    I think if you had read my post you would realise I didn't want the refund and then have to pay an additional 50 to re-order the same item. But if you prefer to waste money that is up to you.
    I think this particular forum is reaching a new low when someone offered a full refund isn't happy with that.

You may want to contact Mchambers
    Originally posted by robatwork
    • RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 15th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobUK360
    The email I recieved after I spoke to Amazon suggested I speak to Dell about repair or exchange under warranty. Not sure I'd want a refurbished monitor after having it only a week. I have since found other posts on the internet regarding this problem and it is suggested this is a common issue with this type of monitor, not just the brand or model. I am currently looking into a few possible fixes for the issue, before I make up my mind on the refund.

I'd like to thank all the people that offered advice to me on this matter, you were fast and straight to the point.

There's a chance That Dell might give you a refurbished model that may have the same problem. I'd send it back for the refund and keep my eye on the price to see if it's reduced at a later date.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 16th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,269 Thanks
    mije1983
    I have since found other posts on the internet regarding this problem and it is suggested this is a common issue with this type of monitor, not just the brand or model.

So surely you definitely want a refund then so you can purchase a different type of monitor?

Why would you want an exchange if you say it's a common problem?

• RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 17th May 18, 10:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobUK360
    As the underlying tech is GSync, all Gsync monitors, from all manufacturers seem to have this issue. As I have a Geforce graphics card, I cannot use use freesync technology. So there are no other options for me unless I don't want GSync, which I do for tear free gaming. I have so far tried a few fixes and so far it has improvd. I am still on the fence as to keeping it or getting a refund.

So surely you definitely want a refund then so you can purchase a different type of monitor?

Why would you want an exchange if you say it's a common problem?
    Originally posted by mije1983
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Carrot007
    You seem to have two issues.

1. GSync is not a replacement for a decent specced machine. Your computer still needs to be up to the task. With tearing I suspect it is not. try lower settings.

2. You bought into nvidia's nonsense. The yare horrible proprietory nonsense. Yes there top end cards are better than amd, but only idiots buy them, unless you paid over 2000 for your machine they are pointless. (machine not the gfx card(s) which are on top)
    • bris
    • By bris 17th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    bris
    If you refuse the refund then go to Dell you contract with Amazon is at an end.

However, if you contact Amazon and they give you permission to go to Dell then your contract stays with Amazon for any future problems.

This is the way it usually works, when a retailer tells you to take it up with the manufacture your contract stays with that retailer. It's only when you go over their head that the retailer can decline to assist further.
    • RobUK360
    • By RobUK360 18th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobUK360
    Thank you for your informative post. Really appreciate it. I have changed some settings now and I'm happy with it. So will be keeping it.

Pity this forum is full of other unhelpful and bitter people. Probably won't stay around.

Regards

Rob.

If you refuse the refund then go to Dell you contract with Amazon is at an end.

However, if you contact Amazon and they give you permission to go to Dell then your contract stays with Amazon for any future problems.

This is the way it usually works, when a retailer tells you to take it up with the manufacture your contract stays with that retailer. It's only when you go over their head that the retailer can decline to assist further.
    Originally posted by bris
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 18th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Thank you for your informative post. Really appreciate it. I have changed some settings now and I'm happy with it. So will be keeping it.

Pity this forum is full of other unhelpful and bitter people. Probably won't stay around.

Regards

Rob.
    How is it unhelpful to tell you what your legal rights are? That would appear to be why you posed a question in the first place. Or is it just that, in your view, the replies are unhelpful and bitter because they weren't the ones you wanted to hear?

This is a "consumer rights" board, not a "consumer wants" one.
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 18th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    its_all_over

Regards

Rob.
    That's a rather nasty post when everyone has taken the time to answer and given you spot on advice that is correct. You shouldn't get nasty just because you don't like the correct answer.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 18th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,269 Thanks
    mije1983
    How is it unhelpful to tell you what your legal rights are? That would appear to be why you posed a question in the first place. Or is it just that, in your view, the replies are unhelpful and bitter because they weren't the ones you wanted to hear?

This is a "consumer rights" board, not a "consumer wants" one.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    That's a rather nasty post when everyone has taken the time to answer and given you spot on advice that is correct. You shouldn't get nasty just because you don't like the correct answer.
    Originally posted by its_all_over

Seems to be on ongoing trend unfortunately if posters don't like the responses.

What people don't seem to realise is, being nice to newbies doesn't mean telling them what they want to hear.

• robatwork
    • By robatwork 19th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 5,076 Thanks
    robatwork

As others have said, you'll be a big loss.

In the real world, you are going to need to get a bit more robust in dealing with not hearing what you want to or people criticising. Let me guess - you're in your early or mid 20s?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,085Posts Today

7,381Users online

Martin's Twitter