Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spender£
    • By Spender£ 14th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Spender£
    UV damage to wood Door through glass?
    • 14th May 18, 5:51 PM
    UV damage to wood Door through glass? 14th May 18 at 5:51 PM
    To cut a long story short can a wooden door be damaged by UV rays coming through the window of a porch, the south facing porch gets strong sunshine in the summer through double glazing onto the door.
    I have used normal varnish but have now heard that Sickens UV filter is about the best, there is no danger of water getting in but i had previously not heard of UV damage in an enclosed porch until someone in the pub mentioned it. I'm hoping this is just scaremongering.
    Time Is The Enemy!
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 14th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 14th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:15 PM
    UV can cause fading if that!!!8217;s what you!!!8217;re concerned about.
    • missile
    • By missile 15th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 9,781 Posts
    • 4,920 Thanks
    missile
    • 15th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:34 AM
    My wooden floor was bleached by sunlight. I doubt any polish would protect against that.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Spender£
    • By Spender£ 15th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spender£
    • 15th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:15 PM
    My wooden floor was bleached by sunlight. I doubt any polish would protect against that.
    Originally posted by missile
    Yeah i think your right, i'm gonna put some UV Filter on it, i notice the door was so hot today with the sun on it that i couldn't keep my hand on there for more than 10 seconds, that heat can't do the wood much good over time.
    Time Is The Enemy!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 16th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Furts
    • 16th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:05 AM
    UV light will break down unprotected timber - that is a simple fact of life and explains how nature gradually recycles material back to create soil. This can be countered by applying coatings but here a problem arises. To give protection there needs to be a pigment and the more pigment then the more protection. This means any clear coat UV protection is a debatable concept and a debatable product. Conversely houses will have fascias, bargeboards and windows coated with redwood, teak or similar tinted pigments - almost never is clear coating applied. It is these colour pigments that reflect the light and prevent UV damage

Sikkens is a reputable company and makes some cracking products. Whether a clear uv filter is one of these is up for debate!
    • Spender£
    • By Spender£ 16th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spender£
    • 16th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:14 AM
    UV light will break down unprotected timber - that is a simple fact of life and explains how nature gradually recycles material back to create soil. This can be countered by applying coatings but here a problem arises. To give protection there needs to be a pigment and the more pigment then the more protection. This means any clear coat UV protection is a debatable concept and a debatable product. Conversely houses will have fascias, bargeboards and windows coated with redwood, teak or similar tinted pigments - almost never is clear coating applied. It is these colour pigments that reflect the light and prevent UV damage

Sikkens is a reputable company and makes some cracking products. Whether a clear uv filter is one of these is up for debate!
    Originally posted by Furts
    That is interesting yes, it is the Sikkens Cetol Filter Plus 7 Rosewood wood stain product which i'm considering using for this.
    Time Is The Enemy!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Furts
    • 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    That is interesting yes, it is the Sikkens Cetol Filter Plus 7 Rosewood wood stain product which i'm considering using for this.
    Originally posted by Spender£
    Rosewood is a good choice - it has pigments. Be aware UV light degrades a timber surface and you will never make this good - other than sanding/planing it down and removing it. It also makes stain application more difficult. The damaged surface soaks up stain, and you could get variations in colour - depends if UV damage has occurred and whether it is consistent across the timber.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,156Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter