Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • activist3
    • By activist3 14th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 13Thanks
    activist3
    Dont even know where to begin
    • 14th May 18, 5:36 PM
    Dont even know where to begin 14th May 18 at 5:36 PM
    Was supposed to be flying out today from Bristol to Budapest Via Brussels. Bristol was 10.35-12.50 Brussels (BMI) and then connection was 15:15 Brussels to 17.05 (Brussels airlines) landing in Budapest.

No notification until check in that the connecting flight from Brussels to Budapest has been cancelled because of strikes. Managed to sort alternative flights.

Departing Bristol 12.10 to Munich at 15:10 (BMI) ...departing Munich at 18:40 arriving in Budapest at 19.50 (Lufthansa). Arrived in Berlin and the Lufthansa connecting flight has now been cancelled apparently because of earlier weather (even though we landed and many other flights are taking off). They have offered to put me on another flight departing at 22:15 and arriving at 23:25. Nobody has even offered a cup of tea!

Any idea where to even begin unraveling this?
Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 15th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:47 AM
    You can claim back expenses you incurred for refreshments during the delay (send Lufthansa your receipts). You may also be entitled to cash compensation depending on why your flight from Munich was cancelled. File a claim with Lufthansa and take it from there.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    JPears
    • 15th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:15 AM
    Who was on strike regarding the Brussels to Budapest strike? Was it Brussels Airways staff, if so you are due compensation from BMI/Brussels airways for a short notice cancellation.
    Who organised the replacement flights? You or BMI/Brussels? Could mean a second bite of the cherry.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 15th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:24 AM
    I believe it's Brussels Airlines pilots that are striking. I thought only "wildcat" strikes had been ruled to be non-extraordinary?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    JPears
    • 15th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:31 AM
    I would have thought known strikes would definitely not be an EC.
    Possibly a wildcat strike is non EC but is there a ruling on this anywhere?
    The strikes were reported in press at least as early as 11th May, if not earlier, so not really wildcat anyway.
    Last edited by JPears; 15-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.

• Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 15th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 15th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:44 AM
    Brussels Airways had issued an advance warning last week of strikes on the 14th and 16th June, they even produced a list of flights that would be operating. If you booked through BMI Regional they should have proactively notified you and offered you the alternative, which at least they did when you went to check in. If you booked through an agent, it was their responsibility to notify you and offer an alternative option.

As to the delay in Munich, they appear to be suggesting weather issues but that will be subject to further investigation. I just hope you are not returning tomorrow, 16th, as you will be caught again
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 15th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:52 AM
    I would have thought known strikes would definitely not be an EC.
    Possibly a wildcat strike is non EC but is there a ruling on this anywhere?
    Originally posted by JPears

Yes, a recent one (see link below). I can't find any rulings to suggest that "proper" airline strikes are non-extraordinary and the regulations explicitly lists industrial strikes as an example of extraordinary circumstances.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/04/victory-for-passengers-in-landmark-wildcat-strike-flight-delay-ruling
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    JPears
    • 15th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:42 PM
    I think most would regard an internal strike within the airline as within the control of the airline.
    Sure a strike by ATC or airport staff are not within the control of the airline.

• activist3
    • By activist3 15th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    activist3
    • 15th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:30 PM
    With regards the Brussels airlines flight, we were not informed of that flight cancel until we checked in and the flight was not listed as one of those that was cancelled.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    JPears
    Did you arrange your alternative flights or did BMI/Brussels Airline?

• activist3
    • By activist3 21st May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    activist3
    Did you arrange your alternative flights or did BMI/Brussels Airline?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Expedia did who were the agent, but they did it through brussel airline as would only use a partner airline to them
    • activist3
    • By activist3 7th Jun 18, 8:09 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    activist3
    Lufthansa has denied compensation on the grounds of bad weather...even though the connecting flight landed at the same airport and other flights were taking off all day.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 7th Jun 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    jpsartre
    That doesn't necessarily mean anything, bad weather usually leads to a reduction of flights, not a cancellation of all flights.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Baldsaint: @MartinSLewis We were on a cruise to the West Indies and America (sun, sun, sun and even more sun) when the beast from the e?

• RT @MikeHoxard: @MartinSLewis I always want some rain at home when I am away so may garden is okay when get back ... so is that gardenfraud?

• This is a technical article, but it's a good primer to help understand why a change to accounting practice being di? https://t.co/vKOa8Zm3OI

• Follow Martin