Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zayk786
    • By Zayk786 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Zayk786
    Moving to Ely, Cambridgeshire from Bradford
    • 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    Moving to Ely, Cambridgeshire from Bradford 14th May 18 at 5:33 PM
    Hi All,
    I am moving to Ely from Bradford due to my relocation in Cambridge. It's very expensive to live within Cambridge so I have chosen Ely as it has a direct train route to Cambridge compared to Huntington. I am a brown asian, vegetarian and restricted to halal food only.

I would like to ask your opinion on Life in Ely? has it got good Neighbourhood? is it Safe? What about the crime rate? and any other information will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 14th May 18, 6:27 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    • 14th May 18, 6:27 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:27 PM
    Ely is lovely; I know it very well. I can't think of any downsides at all, except maybe expensive property because of the 'Cambridge effect.'
    It's a very safe city with low crime rates. I'm sure you'll be happy there,
    Go to this website and type in the postcode to find out a lot of info including crime figues, etc.
    https://www.streetcheck.co.uk
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    z1a
    • 14th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:31 PM
    Does Halal veg. exist? Genuinely never noticed.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,827 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    Agree with v.v. Ely is still moderately quiet, beautiful, civilised and pleasant. There are rather too many new estates, and the older, central area is generally the nicer. Areas low by the river can flood, and the countryside around isn't to everyone's taste, being pancake flat.

It's 20 plus years since I lived there. There was, according to the Ely Standard, a RIOT.... A litter bin in the Market place was set on fire, and a sign bent over. Shock horror.

The railway is good. Don't be fooled by the short road commute, unless you are on the Science Park, as further in can be gridlocked!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,130Posts Today

8,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Worried about your finances? Want tips and tricks for getting the best money-saving deals? Whatever your money matter, @Ma?

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first to talk about how to get the most buck (or euros) for your money with? https://t.co/OXkQDilixy

• Early days but if we weight this vote to the referendum proportions (48:52) then 57% of people currently want secon? https://t.co/zct2KOUWRf

• Follow Martin