Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 19,360Posts
    • 87,169Thanks
    pipkin71
    Do you have a question...
    • 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    Do you have a question... 14th May 18 at 5:19 PM
    that you would like to know the answer to, but never thought to ask?

Perhaps someone on MSE can assist

My question is: it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, for obvious reasons but on a few police programmes I've watched, a police officer driving, will use the walkie talkie attached to their uniform.

What's the difference between that and a mobile phone?

Interested in the answer, if anyone has one and any other questions that might crop up
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
Page 3
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 16,975 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    How do you read the meters then if you don't use the stupid plug in screen thingy?
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    This may sound daft but I just read the numbers on the meters the same way as I used to do with the old ones, there is no difference with my smart meters.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 15th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 20,711 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Why don't more people get smart meters fitted when it costs them nothing anyway?

(and why do permanent members have to wait 60 seconds between posts?)
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I will get one when they are capable of switching suppliers! Its never been a problem for me to read my meters once a month for the last 20 odd years and I do not expect it to become a problem.

Smart meters are really for people who cannot be bothered to take notice of what energy they use. They then question the fact that they changed supplier to save £5 per month on their energy bills and 12 moths down the line cannot understand why they have a £200 debt because they used to much energy. How did that happen I have a SMART meter it is supposed to save me money!

The adverts on the TV claim to show the meter so you can see what your energy is costing you at the time. These are just monitors and neither the monitor or the meter will save you money unless you reduce your usage. Something that most people will not do!
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 15th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 5,828 Thanks
    Spidernick
    What does America have against the letter U?
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Blame this chap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

What I don't understand is why, if the changes are to make things simpler, we have 'expiration' instead of 'expiry' and 'burglarized' rather than 'burgled'? For those with an interest in language Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue (including bits on Webster) is well worth reading.

My question that I have never been able to find an answer to is this:

If we usually feminise words and names by adding an 'e', why is 'Joe' a man and 'Jo' a woman? Thanks.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 6,231 Posts
    • 20,438 Thanks
    indesisiv
    This may sound daft but I just read the numbers on the meters the same way as I used to do with the old ones, there is no difference with my smart meters.
    Different meters to the ones I have then... I have to press 9 on the worlds tiniest keypad, and then it flashes up about 10 different screens of numbers each for about 1 sec.
    But I can't see the screen on mine so i used to just reach my hand in and take a picture, can't do that now. So I end up trying to press the button then quickly trying to video it. Its mostly unfathomable.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    My question is, why do people drive impatiently, overtaking cars already travelling at the speed limit, pushing their way across to a motorway exit at the last moment ... when all they gain is a couple of seconds off their journey?
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    The answer to that one is simple, some people are *****.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Why don't more people get smart meters fitted when it costs them nothing anyway?

(and why do permanent members have to wait 60 seconds between posts?)
    Because I so no advantage to switching and a smart meter is technically more complicated than a conventional meter and therefore (IMO) more likely to go wrong.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 53,884 Posts
    • 148,999 Thanks
    colinw
    Different meters to the ones I have then... I have to press 9 on the worlds tiniest keypad, and then it flashes up about 10 different screens of numbers each for about 1 sec.
    But I can't see the screen on mine so i used to just reach my hand in and take a picture, can't do that now. So I end up trying to press the button then quickly trying to video it. Its mostly unfathomable.
    You do realise these smart meters are wifi enabled and are spying on everything you do with your appliances

and I mean everything
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 53,884 Posts
    • 148,999 Thanks
    colinw
    The answer to that one is simple, some people are *****.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    That is the answer to about 99.9% of all questions

Because I so no advantage to switching and a smart meter is technically more complicated than a conventional meter and therefore (IMO) more likely to go wrong.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Yup I don't trust tech
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Why do boy racers insist on excessively tilting backwards the backrest of their driver's seat? It looks ridiculous, especially when you see one them in your rear view mirror just about managing to see over their steering wheel.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 6,231 Posts
    • 20,438 Thanks
    indesisiv
    You do realise these smart meters are wifi enabled and are spying on everything you do with your appliances

and I mean everything
    Originally posted by colinw
    You do realise that in order to spy on my appliances then they would have to be wifi enabled ... and most of my devices were delivered on the Ark so certainly have no wifi in them. Asbestos, CFCs etc yes ... wifi no.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 53,884 Posts
    • 148,999 Thanks
    colinw
    You do realise that in order to spy on my appliances then they would have to be wifi enabled ... and most of my devices were delivered on the Ark so certainly have no wifi in them. Asbestos, CFCs etc yes ... wifi no.
    Hmmm you used logic there
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 16,975 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    If I have a salad for lunch and wash it down with a glass of orange juice then have an apple for afters, how many of my '5-a-day' does that counts as?

I count it as 3 but another person I know counts it as only 1 because they were all part of the same meal.

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th May 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    If I have a salad for lunch and wash it down with a glass of orange juice then have an apple for afters, how many of my '5-a-day' does that counts as?

I count it as 3 but another person I know counts it as only 1 because they were all part of the same meal.
    I'd say 3 too, can't see how having the meal, drink and apple one after the other would make any difference compared to spreading them throughout the day.

More importantly, why are neither of us blessed with a spam button?
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 15-05-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 53,884 Posts
    • 148,999 Thanks
    colinw

I would say 3 it does not matter if they are consumed at the same time
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 15th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71

I would count it as 3, too
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 15th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    Izadora

Seeing as there'd most likely be a few different salad items I'd probably count it as my full 5
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 16,975 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    What does the term 'African-American' actually mean?

Irritates the life out of me that a section of the population of a country insists on calling themselves this but probably could not even point in the direction of Africa from where they are standing

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 4,475 Posts
    • 14,638 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    if i have a salad for lunch and wash it down with a glass of orange juice then have an apple for afters, how many of my '5-a-day' does that counts as?

I count it as 3 but another person i know counts it as only 1 because they were all part of the same meal.
    Originally posted by wizard of id
    I'd reckon it was 42 . . .
    Last edited by Jackmydad; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    What does the term 'African-American' actually mean?

Irritates the life out of me that a section of the population of a country insists on calling themselves this but probably could not even point in the direction of Africa from where they are standing
    It's an American thing generally, not specific to a particular group. There's plenty who call themselves Irish-American or Italian-American even though you'd have to go back to the 19th century to find any ancestors who actually lived in said country.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 16th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 27,819 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Question.
    If inflation takes hold, the bank of England will increase the base rate to take money out of the economy. Why is that act not considered inflationary.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    The theory goes that when rates rise people borrow less, save more, and so spend less, thus reducing inflation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,379Posts Today

8,148Users online

Martin's Twitter