Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 19,354Posts
    • 87,006Thanks
    pipkin71
    Do you have a question...
    • 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    Do you have a question... 14th May 18 at 5:19 PM
    that you would like to know the answer to, but never thought to ask?

Perhaps someone on MSE can assist

My question is: it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, for obvious reasons but on a few police programmes I've watched, a police officer driving, will use the walkie talkie attached to their uniform.

What's the difference between that and a mobile phone?

Interested in the answer, if anyone has one and any other questions that might crop up
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
Page 2
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Can you daydream at night?
    Originally posted by tommix
    Daydream believer just popped into my head when I read your post
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 14th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    Are football clubs and/or the police bound by legislation to provide a copy of video surveillance taken in a ground where an incident of assault took place, if asked? If so, what is the name of the law/act that dictates this? Similar to the freedom of information act I'd gather.
    Audere est Facere
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8,575 Posts
    • 14,062 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Daydream believer just popped into my head when I read your post
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    Posted this especially for you ....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74285825
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Classic
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Are football clubs and/or the police bound by legislation to provide a copy of video surveillance taken in a ground where an incident of assault took place, if asked? If so, what is the name of the law/act that dictates this? Similar to the freedom of information act I'd gather.
    Originally posted by HighamKneeDee
    Found this if it's any help

https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 14th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    Thank you very much, I will have a good read of that. Did not even consider looking on a government site
    Audere est Facere
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 14th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 9,172 Thanks
    minimad1970
    What does America have against the letter U?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 8,575 Posts
    • 14,062 Thanks
    Sleazy
    What does America have against the letter U?
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Lack of knowledge of English or just plain laziness IMHO
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Or wanting to make their own mark on the English language - z instead of s, for example
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,077 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Originally posted by HighamKneeDee
    Slightly related to your question.

I was at a baseball game in Washington DC and was spotted by someone that knows me while they were watching the game live on MLB.com at home on the UK.
    Because of where I was sitting when the camera focusing on the batsman used a wider angle, I could be seen in the seats just behind.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,077 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Talking of which

This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,077 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Why don't more people get smart meters fitted when it costs them nothing anyway?

(and why do permanent members have to wait 60 seconds between posts?)

This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 51,698 Posts
    • 143,195 Thanks
    colinw
    Why don't more people get smart meters fitted when it costs them nothing anyway?

Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I chose not to get one actually, they have asked a couple of times, one the inconvenience of getting it fitted and I really do not need one or need to now how much energy I am using at a certain time.

Hmmm so I suppose I need a Question......

Why do some people take so long paying a bus fare?
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 15th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71

I can't have smart meters because I have separate suppliers for gas and electric
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 15th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Hmmm so I suppose I need a Question......

Why do some people take so long paying a bus fare?
    Originally posted by colinw
    Or when being served, having waited ages in the queue
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,650 Thanks
    indesisiv

I have one but its really irritating to have to find the control thingy and plug it in when I want to take a meter reading.
    Not that mine are smart anymore due to changing suppliers, even when you move back to the same supplier that fitted them they don't stay smart.

I couldn't care less about it showing what I am using and its costing. I am using the power because i need to have it on.. if I didn't want it using power I would turn it off.... (Not that they have that functionality any more)

All in all they are just a pointless waste of time. I would much rather have my old ones back where I could just look at the numbers on the screen to read them!

ETA: The 60 seconds thing is really really irritating when you are on a fast moving thread such as a live event etc
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 51,698 Posts
    • 143,195 Thanks
    colinw
    Or when being served, having waited ages in the queue
    Yeah it is like "Oh I have to pay for this trolley full of stuff"

I have one but its really irritating to have to find the control thingy and plug it in when I want to take a meter reading.
    Not that mine are smart anymore due to changing suppliers, even when you move back to the same supplier that fitted them they don't stay smart.

I couldn't care less about it showing what I am using and its costing. I am using the power because i need to have it on.. if I didn't want it using power I would turn it off.... (Not that they have that functionality any more)

All in all they are just a pointless waste of time. I would much rather have my old ones back where I could just look at the numbers on the screen to read them!

ETA: The 60 seconds thing is really really irritating when you are on a fast moving thread such as a live event etc
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Oh well that has helped confirm I don't need them
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,077 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I can't have smart meters because I have separate suppliers for gas and electric
    You could still have them.

As for the readout screen, I don't use mine and I also don't need anything special to read the meter either.

This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 15th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 19,354 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    pipkin71
    You could still have them.

As for the readout screen, I don't use mine and I also don't need anything special to read the meter either.
    That's interesting because according to British Gas, I can only have one with dual fuel. I'm switching to all electric so it would be good to see where we are using the most and try to reduce it. I hate paying energy suppliers
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,650 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Oh well that has helped confirm I don't need them
    Originally posted by colinw
    Save the effort until they bring out smart meters that can be used with different companies and tarrifs!

How do you read the meters then if you don't use the stupid plug in screen thingy?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,730Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin