Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah G
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Sarah G Verified User verified user 14th May 18, 4:36 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Sarah G
    Have you used a Help to Buy ISA or LISA as a couple to buy your house?
    • 14th May 18, 4:36 PM
    Have you used a Help to Buy ISA or LISA as a couple to buy your house? 14th May 18 at 4:36 PM
    Hi Everyone,

This is a post for tomorrow's newsletter.

We need a success story for a couple that's successfully bought a house using either a Help to Buy ISA or LISA.

We need BOTH of you to have been first time buyers and therefore both eligible for the payout from each product. As this is for tomorrow's newsletter, it would be great if you can post ASAP!

Thanks,
    MSE Sarah G.
Page 1
    • Lawa2209
    • By Lawa2209 15th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lawa2209
    • 15th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:29 PM
    We are in the process of buying now with 2 help to buy isa hopefully completing next Friday or the week after so can share our story once completed if that!!!8217;s any help?
    • MSE Sarah G
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Sarah G Verified User verified user 15th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MSE Sarah G
    • 15th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:22 PM
    Thanks Lawa2209. We managed to find a completed success story on Twitter. Best of luck to you both for next Friday!
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 15th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 15th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 15th May 18, 3:58 PM
    We bought our house in May 2016, both of us having H2B ISAs with the maximum possible at the time in (I think this was about 1400 each).

We were both FTBs, the house was 230k in Suffolk.

Our H2B ISAs were with Nationwide, the solicitor was very confused (probably because we were among the first people to use them).

We didn't have any issues with the "bonus not payable until completion" thing.

We used a 95% mortgage, not on a newbuild.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • SerialRenter
    • By SerialRenter 18th May 18, 11:53 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    SerialRenter
    • 18th May 18, 11:53 AM
    • 18th May 18, 11:53 AM
    No,

I started a help to buy fun a few years ago, but soon realised the hard limit of 250k was far too low for buying in surrey.
    So as soon as LISA's were announced i spent a few months trying to find a provider that actually ran the scheme. When hargreaves lansdown did, i opened an account for the minimum right away, but didn't top the fund up at all, or transfer my HTB because i realised the utterly moronic rule that prevents you from using the fund within a year of opening the account effectively made it useless.

I've just bought a home a couple of months ago and ended up withdrawings the funds from the HTB without the bonus, and not touching the LISA at all as it was only something like 8 months in.

But hey, at least the stamp duty was cheap right?
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

938Posts Today

7,555Users online

Martin's Twitter