Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • userbob984
    • By userbob984 14th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    userbob984
    New Build Queries
    • 14th May 18, 3:42 PM
    New Build Queries 14th May 18 at 3:42 PM
    Hey All,

It's hard to know where to get answers to some of my queries, so hope there are some knowledgeable people out there!

Basically i've reserved a new build, but have not yet exchanged. The development is already a few months behind schedule, was a leasehold, which i'm actually buying the freehold to. And it's now in a state where i could finally complete in the next month.

However i've a few general queries.

1. It's a small estate, and the road through the centre has been adopted. However there's a small turn off this main road in front of my house, which is unadopted, and classed as a private driveway. Would this present an issue when it comes to who might be responsible to repairs, drainage etc?

2. Although i'm buying the freehold, there's a 200 a year charge for communal area upkeep. I'm told this is standard and nothing to worry about. However should this cover the private road upkeep, and should this be explicitly mentioned in the contract?

3. It's now at a state nearing completion, however i've been informed that the top tarmac layer of the driveways on the house and road surface won't be applied for another 3/4 months. Meaning that will have to happen once i'm in the property. Is this standard practice as i've been informed, and would there be any risks in completing on the house before the road surface is applied?

I appreciate any advice you might offer!
Page 1
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 14th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    lena_halo
    • 14th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:03 PM
    1. If it's a private driveway belonging to your house, I guess you will be responsible for repairs?
    2. Maintenance fees are standard on new build estates. Whether it covers your private driveway or not might be in the management pack received by your solicitors?
    3. Standard for the road surface, they don't like to complete it until all of the construction is completed for the area. When I moved into my flat 5 years ago, it was about 3 months until the road was sorted out. All I can say is watch out for raised manholes, they are a nightmare!
    • userbob984
    • By userbob984 14th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    userbob984
    • 14th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:11 PM
    1. If it's a private driveway belonging to your house, I guess you will be responsible for repairs?
    2. Maintenance fees are standard on new build estates. Whether it covers your private driveway or not might be in the management pack received by your solicitors?
    3. Standard for the road surface, they don't like to complete it until all of the construction is completed for the area. When I moved into my flat 5 years ago, it was about 3 months until the road was sorted out. All I can say is watch out for raised manholes, they are a nightmare!
    Originally posted by lena_halo
    Thanks for the quick reply!

1. It's actually the road in front of my house, so doesn't belong to me or anyone who might buy another of the houses.
    2. I guess this is the part i need to chase down, if this small section of private road is maintained.
    3. That makes me feel a bit better, if it's common practice i guess it's just part of the new build purchase process.
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 14th May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    lena_halo
    • 14th May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:16 PM
    If the road doesn't belong to you/your house, it'll likely be covered under the management fees paid then, check the management pack with your solicitor
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 15th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 15th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:26 AM
    As above the management fees are standard, I pay an annual fee even though my house is freehold. The top layer of tarmac is also standard, I moved into my house in December and it was Friday of last week that we finally had our driveway finished.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin