Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gbean87
    • By Gbean87 14th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Gbean87
    Query - is it worth trying to claim back bank account charges?
    • 14th May 18, 3:42 PM
    Query - is it worth trying to claim back bank account charges? 14th May 18 at 3:42 PM
    Hi,
    I believe I was mis-sold a Barclay's additions account aged 18. I was told at the time that I had to take an account with a fee as they didn't offer a free account. I wasn't advise of what that meant or what it came with at the time (it was my first time dealing with a bank so didn't think to challenge at the time) I'm now 30 and still have the account. The price has continuously increased over the years and for the "cover" it provides is not good value for money.

About 2 years ago I realised that the account came with insurance and have used it in the last 2 years or so to insure my phone.

Am I still eligible to claim back the my charges up to the point in which I became aware? I only registered my phone with them because I hadn't realised that it was an option to have a different type of account. Since I was 18 until about 2 years ago I have been dual insured anyway through my phone provider.

So my question is basically - can I put in a claim or does the fact I've used the insurance in the last year or two invalidate it?

In addition to this - I took a Barclaycard out at the same time - I set up a direct debit for them to take whatever they needed to to pay - one month I accidentally went over my limit and because I had maxxed it out and was in the process of paying it back via direct debit - I didn't bother to check and ended up with about 300 worth of fees as they continued to take the minimum payment and then charged me for being over my limit because of their charges.

Is this worth trying to claim back? Would have been around 2008-2010, so after the 2006 ruling on unfair fees.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry it's a bit waffley - hard to explain in writing!

Thanks
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,958 Posts
    • 3,603 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    You're mixing up 2 issues - bank charges (like being overdrawn) which died in 2009 and packaged account charges which can be done.

You can complain you were miss-sold the package based on your reasons above though registering the phone does take some weight from your case as it shows you knew about the benefits - if you "used" it as in made a claim on your insurance to replace a phone, the cost of that would be removed from any refund you would get back.

If the bank sent you letters more than 3 years ago alerting you to the package account benefits they may be able to time bar the complaints
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,578Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter