Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marie3196658
    • By marie3196658 14th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    marie3196658
    Help, been sold a stolen car
    • 14th May 18, 2:19 PM
    Help, been sold a stolen car 14th May 18 at 2:19 PM
    i bought a car in November 2017 and it has been found that the car has been stolen. false number plates put on with matching VIN numbers on the windscreen and inside the drivers door panel. we found out because we were having a problem trying to obtain a V5 for the car (after not receiving it from the change over from the buyer).
    we are now without a car and £15000 out of pocket. can anybody give any advice of the best way forward to try and get our money back or even the car. the insurance company that insured the car at the time of it being stolen have already paid out for the car and will take possession of the vehicle. i have been intouch with them and i am waiting a reply to see if we can get the car back at all.
    we paid cash after receiving a good enough 'excuse' why he couldn't receive money through a bank transfer, so not covered on any debit or credit card insurance
    we bought the car from an advert on Auto Trader and did the additional checks, but of course we were doing the checks on a false number plate hence why it came back all clear and no suspicions were raised when we bought the car.
    any advice would be much appreciated
    Last edited by marie3196658; 14-05-2018 at 2:22 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Page 4
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 34,191 Posts
    • 21,604 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hi,

We have just had a very similar experience, however paid via bank transfer. The police have recovered the car and the bank are looking into the transfer to see if they can trace the money. However it has been 2 weeks and we haven’t heard anything. What was the outcome of this in the end?
    The stolen car that we bought has already been paid out to the original owner so apparently the insurance company will now own the car. But potentially they may come to us and offer to sell us the car for a reduced price. I am not sure how long this usually takes though..
    Originally posted by D_hickles
    You won't get a reply from the original poster as the thread is over a year old but you knew that anyway didn't you.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 16th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 16,393 Posts
    • 22,661 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Perhaps Marie could update us on the outcome?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Aqeel Rahman
    • By Aqeel Rahman 16th May 19, 11:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aqeel Rahman
    Sorry i don’t know how to post a thread i’m in a situation if anyone can help.

I bought a car easter sunday and i did a HPI check, matched the V5 to the car and HPI report, I saw a passport of the previous keeper with the same name as the V5 and also found a receipt for the previous owner from the ‘Dealer’ he bought it from with the previous keepers name and address on it and saying it was ‘paid in full on debit card’ and I paid by bank transfer.

The V5 has arrived in my name and 3 weeks later i was stopped by the Police who said the car was reported stolen on the 8th of May, by the ‘Dealer’ as a fraudlent credit card was used to purchase it.

The guys were in no rush to sell have not used throw away phones as I am still in contact and they keep saying ‘what are you talking about’

where do i stand?
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 17th May 19, 10:18 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Matty36
    Sorry i don’t know how to post a thread i’m in a situation if anyone can help.

I bought a car easter sunday and i did a HPI check, matched the V5 to the car and HPI report, I saw a passport of the previous keeper with the same name as the V5 and also found a receipt for the previous owner from the ‘Dealer’ he bought it from with the previous keepers name and address on it and saying it was ‘paid in full on debit card’ and I paid by bank transfer.

The V5 has arrived in my name and 3 weeks later i was stopped by the Police who said the car was reported stolen on the 8th of May, by the ‘Dealer’ as a fraudlent credit card was used to purchase it.

The guys were in no rush to sell have not used throw away phones as I am still in contact and they keep saying ‘what are you talking about’

where do i stand?
    Originally posted by Aqeel Rahman
    Start a new thread detailing your problem by clicking the "New Thread" button near the top of this sub forum. Its a big pinkish button on the left side.

You are more likely to receive tailored responses to your problem this way rather than using someone elses old thread.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

6,775Users online

Martin's Twitter