Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeecrisp
    • By coffeecrisp 14th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    coffeecrisp
    Providing a credit report to letting agents - how to explain something sketchy?
    • 14th May 18, 3:14 PM
    Providing a credit report to letting agents - how to explain something sketchy? 14th May 18 at 3:14 PM
    So basically I am trying to rent a flat. My credit is fine, it's the average for my area. I have 2 credit cards which I've paid off in full every single month I've had them. I've never been late on any bill payments. All good.

I just downloaded my full report of Noddle as instructed. The problem is that last year, I decided to do a bit of matched betting. I made about £100 in a 2 months and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. But of course, now the report shows AML checks from six (!!!) bookies. I've never so much as bought a lottery ticket.

So should I just send the report and see what happens, or should I send it along with an explanation of what I was doing to get out in front of it? They have a copy this month's bank statements so they can see there's no gambling transactions. I do put most of my daily spending on my CC, so they see the CC payments, maybe they'll think the bookie payments are in there?

I'm really freaking out because I searched for so long and finally found the perfect place. What do you all think?
Page 1
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 14th May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 14th May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:44 PM
    Why not give them a copy of your credit card statement also, or just give them what they ask for and if they ask for more information then provide it - as it was one period of betting only and you can prove you don't do it any longer I doubt it will cause major issues.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:14 PM
    I'm not sure I would hand over a credit report to a letting agency. I would let them run a credit check on me because all they would then see are my public credit files (CCJ and insolvency, that's it). Is this letting agency charging you a fee to be referenced? Is demand for rental properties in the area extremely high? If it's just an average property for the area I'd be inclined to look elsewhere with a less invasive letting agent.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 14th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 14th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:29 PM
    My experience is that most estate agents ask for these as an excuse to charge both you and the landlord some absurd extra fee. They probably don't even read it. If they do I'd bet the scan for CCJs and maybe check there's no extensive credit card debts etc, but not much more. I doubt any of the estate agents I have dealt with are thorough enough to pick up on a few gambling transactions last year.

Personally, I'd never give this level of personal information to an estate agent anyway. If you are comfortable with doing so, I don't think you'll have any issues.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th May 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th May 18, 5:40 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:40 PM
    I don't think it matters. What they are really looking for are outstanding CCJs or past bankruptcies.

I think it is unlikely you'd even get asked about searches. Even if you did get asked, you have a perfectly reasonable explanation.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 14th May 18, 5:59 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 14th May 18, 5:59 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:59 PM
    I've never had a letting agency ask for my credit file. They all ran credit checks (at my expense).

Sounds like a cheap outfit trying to scrimp on their costs.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    takman
    • 14th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:59 PM
    Its pretty stupid of them to ask you to supply a copy of your credit report, it would be so simple for you to edit it and remove anything you wanted before you gave it to them that it's basically worthless to them.
    • coffeecrisp
    • By coffeecrisp 14th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    coffeecrisp
    • 14th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:00 PM
    I agree with all the posts above. I'm not really happy about having to give all that over. I can't really look for another place. It's a major city. Renting is crazy here, some of my friends have been trying for months.

They did give me the option to pay for an "extensive" credit check, or provide them with bank statements, wage slips, and this credit report. As I'm a student working part-time, I need a guarantor. The extensive credit report was £30 each, and I don't really want to spend £60 on that if we can just hand the documents over.

I guess the best course of action would be to hand the documents over and carefully monitor my credit report afterwards, just in case something dodgy happens?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 15th May 18, 6:30 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 5,698 Thanks
    anselld
    • 15th May 18, 6:30 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:30 AM
    Better to pay for the extensive report. It might be expensive but it is anything but extensive.
    • mortgageFTB
    • By mortgageFTB 15th May 18, 6:30 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    mortgageFTB
    Do not hand over your file.

They have no right to view information in that much detail.

When letting agents run ‘credit checks’ all they see is public information (e.g. bankruptcy, ccj notices).
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 15th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    nyermen
    When letting agents run ‘credit checks’ all they see is public information (e.g. bankruptcy, ccj notices).
    Originally posted by mortgageFTB
    This exactly. Letting agents have no access to your credit file as they're not a "provider of credit" themselves. What they call a credit check is just the public information..
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
    • coffeecrisp
    • By coffeecrisp 15th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    coffeecrisp
    Better to pay for the extensive report. It might be expensive but it is anything but extensive.
    Originally posted by anselld
    I live in Scotland and as far as I can tell, asking to pay for a credit vet is illegal. I think they get around that by offering this "DIY" option.

Do you think there is any way I can get a copy of a credit report similar to what they would see?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,294Posts Today

5,408Users online

Martin's Twitter