Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ricdan83
    • By ricdan83 14th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ricdan83
    Given counterfeit money for Private sale - any advice?
    • 14th May 18, 1:41 PM
    Given counterfeit money for Private sale - any advice? 14th May 18 at 1:41 PM
    Hi - Unfortunately I sold an item privately via Facebook marketplace and was given counterfeit money. This was only realised when I tried to put the money in the bank and they obviously took due diligence of retaining the counterfeit notes.

I've notified Police 101 and awaiting a crime reference number in the hope I can claim back from my Home insurance at least.

Obviously I feel very silly for being duped like this but I was wondering if anybody else has experience of this and if there is anything more I can do to retrieve what was lost via Insurance? I'm assuming not but thought this would be worth a try.
Page 1
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 14th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    wishuponastar
    • 14th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:08 PM
    Sorry to hear of your situation. You've raised a good point. I used to have one of those pens that write clear but if fake it turns a dark colour. I've seen them use a similar thing at the bank too. If paper notes, you could try getting one of those pens.

But I don't think they would work for the new plastic notes, was it paper or plastic notes? What denomination(s) were they? How many were fake? Was it the odd one or two or the whole lot?

I thought the newer plastic notes were meant to be harder to copy and have extra security measures built into them?
    Last edited by wishuponastar; 17-05-2018 at 6:02 PM.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 15th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:27 PM
    Its always worrying - I used to try any bundles of newly received notes out in the supermarket first, just incase. Not sure what I would of done if one was a fake though.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 60,327 Posts
    • 42,986 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:45 PM
    Its always worrying - I used to try any bundles of newly received notes out in the supermarket first, just incase. Not sure what I would of done if one was a fake though.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    Supermarkets would also retain the note , just as the bank did.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 16th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 16th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:03 PM

Obviously I feel very silly for being duped like this
    Originally posted by ricdan83
    Please don't - it could have happened to any of us reading this (and probably has, in some cases).
    • RFW
    • By RFW 16th May 18, 5:58 PM
    • 8,693 Posts
    • 5,066 Thanks
    RFW
    • 16th May 18, 5:58 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:58 PM
    Originally posted by soolin
    Many years ago I received a few fake 20 notes (probably about 5 or 6). I put them to one side as I thought I could trace the customer who paid with them. We then had an auction and had a fair bit of cash to bank. A little while later I asked where the fake notes had gone from the drawer, I was told I'd paid them in at the bank. I checked with the bank and they had no idea they'd ever been there. Ever since I've always checked if I receive any notes from a bank.

Any store that receives a fake note is supposed to bag it up and give a receipt for it and then pass it to the police. I could usually tell a fake note by touching it, I rarely see cash these days so don't come into contact with anywhere near the amount I used to.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 60,327 Posts
    • 42,986 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:23 PM
    Many years ago I received a few fake 20 notes (probably about 5 or 6). I put them to one side as I thought I could trace the customer who paid with them. We then had an auction and had a fair bit of cash to bank. A little while later I asked where the fake notes had gone from the drawer, I was told I'd paid them in at the bank. I checked with the bank and they had no idea they'd ever been there. Ever since I've always checked if I receive any notes from a bank.

Any store that receives a fake note is supposed to bag it up and give a receipt for it and then pass it to the police. I could usually tell a fake note by touching it, I rarely see cash these days so don't come into contact with anywhere near the amount I used to.
    Originally posted by RFW
    You do make a good point, I wonder if fakes will become more easy to pass in future as so few of us handle wads of cash regularly anymore and wouldn't automatically know they were fake. My OH for instance rarely ever has cash, if he wants something he just uses his debit card, I still handle cash as a lot of the auction houses I use still have house limits on the use of a card, so I need cash in case I don't spend enough to meet their minimum card use.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ricdan83
    • By ricdan83 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ricdan83
    • 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    Thanks Everyone. The Police have said its a lost case, understandably.

Trying to make a case to claim it back through insurance, but that isn't proving easy!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th May 18, 10:20 AM
    • 60,327 Posts
    • 42,986 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th May 18, 10:20 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:20 AM

Trying to make a case to claim it back through insurance, but that isn't proving easy!
    Be careful with an insurance claim depending on the amount you are looking at. I'm assuming this is personal or household insurance? If so there is bound to be an excess which is often quite high, then of course any claim, successful or not needs to be declared for the next few years when renewing, and that will affect your future premiums.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 17th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 8,693 Posts
    • 5,066 Thanks
    RFW
    It may be a dumb question but have you contacted the buyer? I doubt it would help but anything's possible.
    • ricdan83
    • By ricdan83 17th May 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ricdan83
    Be careful with an insurance claim depending on the amount you are looking at. I'm assuming this is personal or household insurance? If so there is bound to be an excess which is often quite high, then of course any claim, successful or not needs to be declared for the next few years when renewing, and that will affect your future premiums.
    Absolutely - They are determining right now whether it should be the Laptop or the money that should be replaced. If it is the latter it then does not become worthwhile with the excess I have.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 60,327 Posts
    • 42,986 Thanks
    soolin
    Absolutely - They are determining right now whether it should be the Laptop or the money that should be replaced. If it is the latter it then does not become worthwhile with the excess I have.
    The problem is that regardless of what they pay out, or even not at all, you need to declare the claim in future, so be careful when renewing insurance. Make sure whichever company you go to is aware that a claim has been made.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ricdan83
    • By ricdan83 17th May 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ricdan83
    It may be a dumb question but have you contacted the buyer? I doubt it would help but anything's possible.
    Originally posted by RFW
    The profile was deleted within a couple of hours of the sale. Again, my own fault for being naive!
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 17th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    wishuponastar
    I posted earlier and gave some advice about a pen, if you have read it, I hope it was helpful?

Was it paper or plastic notes? And what denominations of notes were they?
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 18th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    Agreed - thats why you "test" one note - if thats a fakey then you will only lose that note.

The OP paid in all of them and had the lot taken away.
    • mandy44d
    • By mandy44d 18th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mandy44d
    Agreed - thats why you "test" one note - if thats a fakey then you will only lose that note.

The OP paid in all of them and had the lot taken away.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    And what could you do with a load of fake notes? I'm guessing you'd look to pass them on to some other poor sod.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 18th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    Stoke

Why understandably? Counterfeit money is a serious crime, that causes innocent people and businesses huge amounts of stress and complications. Shouldn't they have at least had a look at the notes to see if there was any resemblance to previous fake notes they've come across?

Too much hard work for the boys in blue that, what with common sense being so uncommon amongst the British police.
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 18th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    T-G-C
    Why understandably? Counterfeit money is a serious crime, that causes innocent people and businesses huge amounts of stress and complications. Shouldn't they have at least had a look at the notes to see if there was any resemblance to previous fake notes they've come across?

Too much hard work for the boys in blue that, what with common sense being so uncommon amongst the British police.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    The police will often refuse to investigate fraud and fraudulent currency of a low-level / low-scale nature. The financial loss would have to be substantial enough to warrant an investigation.

Action Fraud UK was created to filter such reports based on their gravity score. The National Crime Agency will pass cases to the police, where there is sufficient grounds for it.

In terms of these fake notes, the circumstances of the OP's case wouldn't have been enough to warrant an investigation by CID or SCD 1.

On a personal level, I am disappointed at the lack of resources, however this seems to be the current framework until more funding is put into policing these types of crimes.
    All advice provided is intended for guidance purposes only. For specialized debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    Stoke
    The police will often refuse to investigate fraud and fraudulent currency of a low-level / low-scale nature. The financial loss would have to be substantial enough to warrant an investigation.

Action Fraud UK was created to filter such reports based on their gravity score. The National Crime Agency will pass cases to the police, where there is sufficient grounds for it.

In terms of these fake notes, the circumstances of the OP's case wouldn't have been enough to warrant an investigation by CID or SCD 1.

On a personal level, I am disappointed at the lack of resources, however this seems to be the current framework until more funding is put into policing these types of crimes.
    Originally posted by T-G-C
    The problem is, I'm not convinced more funding would help low level crime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

3,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin