Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reillyedin
    • By reillyedin 14th May 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    reillyedin
    0 WOW
    Travel Insurance Claim
    • 14th May 18, 1:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel Insurance Claim 14th May 18 at 1:18 PM
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me.....I had to cancel a ski trip earlier in the year due to the snow at the beginning of March. No flights were leaving from the UK to Geneva.

I contacted my travel insurance (Insurefor) in mid-April to make a claim for the hotel and transfers (c500) and they have advised that they cannot process my claim as I made the claim 28 days after the event occurred. Is this sort of timescale allowed? It seems like a very short window for making a claim.

What should I do? Any advice on this would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 14th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Westin
    • 14th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:45 PM
    I guess you need to read their trading terms and conditions regarding making a claim. If they state 28 days then they are at liberty to hold you to that.

Any reason why it took you 28+ days plus to raise a claim? Did you for example have to wait on a flight confirmation letter for the cancelled flight? If so, perhaps mention that in any retort.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th May 18, 1:46 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 2,155 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 14th May 18, 1:46 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:46 PM
    What does your policy say about making a claim? My travel insurance is from AmEx and they explicitly state in the policy that I should claim within 28 days.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 15th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 15th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:37 AM
    28 days is the usual timescale for nearly every insurance policy, not just travel. If you fail to comply with the terms, they are perfectly entitled to reject the claim even if it would have been valid. If you have a genuine reason for the delay, in hospital after a road crash for example, then state it but otherwise you are, as insurers like to say, the author of your own misfortune
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 24,966 Posts
    • 12,185 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    Did it really happen OP??

Highly suspicious IMO but if I am wrong I will apologise.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,608Users online

Martin's Twitter