Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,351Posts
    • 3,273Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Fixing vertical blind to ceiling
    • 14th May 18, 12:40 PM
    Fixing vertical blind to ceiling 14th May 18 at 12:40 PM
    I'd like to fit a vertical blind in the spare room, the only problem is there's no lintel, the window goes all the way to the ceiling.

My question is, would it be safe to fix the blind directly to the ceiling with plasterboard fittings (and if so which type), or would I need fix a wooden batten to the ceiling first and attach the blind to that? The advantage of the batten is I can attach it to beams in the loft so the fitting will be rock solid (the previous owners had fitted a curtain rail with 6 inch screws which did exactly that), downside is it'll look ugly IMO.
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 14th May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 14th May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:19 PM
    It'll probably only have two or maybe three brackets clipping the rail to a surface, so I'd put the brackets through to the ceiling joists - they're not very noticeable, especially if top fixing.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 14th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:30 PM
    It'll probably only have two or maybe three brackets clipping the rail to a surface, so I'd put the brackets through to the ceiling joists - they're not very noticeable, especially if top fixing.

HTH

Russ
    Originally posted by Ruski
    Can you adjust the position of the brackets on vertical blinds so they line up with the joists? The blinds currently fitted downstairs seem to have brackets in fixed positions along the rail, having said that I've never fitted one before so can't be sure. It would definitely need to be at least 3 brackets, the window is the full width of the room at 9 feet wide.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 14th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 14th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:30 PM
    Yes - place the brackets evenlyish spaced, and in line(!) and the top rail clips/screws into it, depending on which brackets you have

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,889Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter