Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pommedeterreverte
    • By pommedeterreverte 14th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pommedeterreverte
    Seven tickets from Smart Parking - please help
    • 14th May 18, 12:40 PM
    Seven tickets from Smart Parking - please help 14th May 18 at 12:40 PM
    Hi all,

Please bear with me, I have been reading the newbie thread on how to appeal but I'm in a very complicated situation with Smart Parking.

Myself and my partner share a vehicle. We have received seven parking tickets from Smart Parking, and simply cannot afford to pay them. I have already appealed five, four of which have been rejected and need to be paid this week before the amount goes up.

I am desperate for some help in how I can resolve this situation.

The driver of the vehicle started a new job in an office block with adjacent car park which is for use of a sports pavilion. On starting the new job, the company informed the driver of the vehicle that they could park in the pavilion car park, in bays marked with a 'T'.
    It's worth noting here that the site is brand new, parts of it are still a building site, and there is absolutely no signage for car parking. I can attach pictures if needed.

On arriving to the site, the driver could not locate where to park, until seeing the 'pavilion' building, and so drove into this car park, but there were no marked bays. There were no other visible marked spaces, nor any clearly visible signage to any other parking spaces/car parks. The driver assumed that because of the fact that the car park was brand new, and this was the first week of the company being in the new building, that the bays had not yet been marked.

The driver has since found out that there is a second car park, around the back of the sports pavilion, down a very narrow road which is not visible from the road nor the other car park, operated by the same company, with marked bays where employees of this company are supposed to park.

The reason why the driver continued to park in the wrong car park is because the first ticket arrived more than two weeks after the date of the first parking error.

The driver appealed the tickets as they arrived, but in the appeal gave details of who was driving the car (which I now know isn't ideal) -the letters were initially addressed to the registered keeper, not the driver.

I've also just noticed that the latest two PCNs to arrive are addressed to the driver, not the keeper - they are also, most strangely, identical to two of the initial tickets (eg. we now have two parking tickets dated 23/03, and two dated 27/03, one in the keeper's name and one in the driver's name) - are they allowed to do this? I assume this is because the driver appealed, stating who was driving the car?

Any help on this would be fantastic, I will pop a beer in the post to say thanks
Page 1
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 14th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 4,386 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 14th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:34 PM
    Presumably you have now read the newbies thread to see what your options are etc.
    You have shot yourself in the foot somewhat by outing the driver.

What happened when you spoke to the management at "The Pavillion" to call their hounds off?
    Did smart give you POPLA codes?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 57,318 Posts
    • 70,923 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:05 PM
    We have received seven parking tickets from Smart Parking, and simply cannot afford to pay them. I have already appealed five, four of which have been rejected and need to be paid this week before the amount goes up appealed to POPLA like this forum always does, and the others are now going to be appealed properly as keeper, not saying who was driving this time!
    Fixed that for you.

I've also just noticed that the latest two PCNs to arrive are addressed to the driver, not the keeper - they are also, most strangely, identical to two of the initial tickets (eg. we now have two parking tickets dated 23/03, and two dated 27/03, one in the keeper's name and one in the driver's name) - are they allowed to do this? I assume this is because the driver appealed, stating who was driving the car?
    They are simply reissued, because the driver was naive enough to appeal instead of the person who received the PCNs (that person would have had a slam dunk winning: 'I'm not liable/wasn't driving' argument v Smart Parking).

OMG this is a mess. These PCNs would ALL have been so flippin' easy to win at POPLA, if you simply appealed as we tell people to, as keeper. Please promise us you will do this right next time you get one, and don't pay the ones you have. You are at appeal stage.

Surely you are at POPLA stage if this is in England/Wales? If so, search the forum for 'Smart POPLA' and read some people did earlier, and read post #3 of the NEWBIES FAQS, all about POPLA and that's where the template appeal points are that you have open to you now you've shot your toes off by letting the driver appeal.

Ouch. Now let's win these at POPLA anyway!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-05-2018 at 4:15 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,755Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin