Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smcmullan88
    • By smcmullan88 14th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    smcmullan88
    NI SmartParking - Do I Appeal Or Not?
    • 14th May 18, 12:04 PM
    NI SmartParking - Do I Appeal Or Not? 14th May 18 at 12:04 PM
    OK so I am new on here as I am seeking some advice. I have read through the stuff and am in two minds as to what my next step should be.

My finance and I were in a car park in Bangor Northern Ireland a few weeks back. We put money in the machine, entered in the correct reg and paid the parking. We put the ticket on the dash (not sure if it was needed but did anyway) and went on our business. We were back well within the time stated on the ticket for expiry. A few weeks past and a smart parking letter arrives with pics of the car, entry and exit points saying that we didnt pay for parking. Luckily after a search in the car I found the paid parking receipt. The times on the receipt and the reg are all fine. The time that the smart parking letter states we were in breach off we had in fact paid this parking.

I see a lot of people on here saying about ignoring tickets they are not enforceable in NI however should the same thing be said when receiving a ticket for something that has genuinely been paid? Should I appeal this or contact the consumer council regarding it?

Thanks
Page 1
    • AltheHibby
    • By AltheHibby 14th May 18, 12:49 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    AltheHibby
    • 14th May 18, 12:49 PM
    • 14th May 18, 12:49 PM
    Always ignore us the advice in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Keep the letters an don't let thge increasing threats worry you. If they do worry you, come back here for reassurance.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 9,206 Posts
    • 9,373 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:00 PM
    AltheHibby is right.

Ignore everything - including any attempt to extract the driver's identity from you.

There is a section in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread devoted to incidents in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
    • smcmullan88
    • By smcmullan88 14th May 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smcmullan88
    • 14th May 18, 1:16 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:16 PM
    Thanks - yes i seen that but i was more confused by the fact the ticket has been issued incorrectly anyway as i have clear evidence that the parking was paid for i still have the ticket from the time it was paid. So do you still just ignore this and keep the tickets and letters?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 9,206 Posts
    • 9,373 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:20 PM
    Thanks - yes i seen that but i was more confused by the fact the ticket has been issued incorrectly anyway as i have clear evidence that the parking was paid for i still have the ticket from the time it was paid. So do you still just ignore this and keep the tickets and letters?
    Originally posted by smcmullan88
    Yes, ignore everything.
    File every piece of paper just in case they are daft enough to try court.

These are not reasonable people. Their only concern is to extract money from you.

In case you missed it... ignore everything.
    • smcmullan88
    • By smcmullan88 14th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smcmullan88
    • 14th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:26 PM
    Haha no problem - thanks for the info
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 19,389 Posts
    • 30,623 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:30 PM
    Originally posted by smcmullan88
    I suspect that the P&D ticket machine required the input of your VRM which you might have failed to spot the requirement, or there might have been a digit of the VRM incorrectly typed - like, 'O' instead of a 'zero' (or vice versa) or an 'I' instead of a '1' etc. The VRM input and the ANPR records are matched, and in the case of any not doing so, the registered keeper is sent a NtK.

None of it really makes any difference to the way in which you deal with this - as advised in earlier posts above.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 61,458 Posts
    • 74,347 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:37 PM
    But keep the proof for 5 years in case Smart decide to try a small claim in Scotland, which they sometimes do.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 19,389 Posts
    • 30,623 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:46 PM
    But keep the proof for 5 years in case Smart decide to try a small claim in Scotland, which they sometimes do.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    This is a Northern Ireland case, CM.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I suspect that the P&D ticket machine required the input of your VRM which you might have failed to spot the requirement, or there might have been a digit of the VRM incorrectly typed - like, 'O' instead of a 'zero' (or vice versa) or an 'I' instead of a '1' etc. The VRM input and the ANPR records are matched, and in the case of any not doing so, the registered keeper is sent a NtK.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    From the OP
    Luckily after a search in the car I found the paid parking receipt. The times on the receipt and the reg are all fine. The time that the smart parking letter states we were in breach off we had in fact paid this parking.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 61,458 Posts
    • 74,347 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    This is a Northern Ireland case, CM.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Ooh, that'll teach me to skim read! No chance of a small claim then.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

8,482Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin