Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 14th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    Hypothetical tv licence question
    • 14th May 18, 11:23 AM
    Hypothetical tv licence question 14th May 18 at 11:23 AM
    I had a tv licence back in my student halls in 2011, until I realised I didnít need one because I wasnít actually using my tv for anything but using a games console. Any way I cancelled the direct debit back on 2011 but donít remember if I informed the tv licence company. Would this have ended ok? Could they be chasing me for a massive debt or even sent me to court for a fine (even though they never had any proof I even had a tv haha)

Or would they have written off the tv licence and started sending me those stupid letters again?

Cheers
Page 1
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 14th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 14th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:27 PM
    Anyone haja
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10,269 Posts
    • 10,267 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:11 PM
    I had a tv licence back in my student halls in 2011, until I realised I didnít need one because I wasnít actually using my tv for anything but using a games console. Any way I cancelled the direct debit back on 2011 but donít remember if I informed the tv licence company. Would this have ended ok? Could they be chasing me for a massive debt or even sent me to court for a fine (even though they never had any proof I even had a tv haha)
    Originally posted by Chickendinner12
    Very unlikely, and if you haven't heard anything by now, you don't have anything to worry about. As a general rule, it is best to contact TVL to cancel a DD payment scheme, though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 14th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 14th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:00 PM
    Thing is I moved out yonks who so would have absolutely no idea if I was getting loads of letters. Donít know how to find out either!!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 10,269 Posts
    • 10,267 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:15 PM
    It doesn't matter.

They cannot just "send someone to Court". There is a process, and they need evidence (usually a confession).

They can and do use debt collectors, but (although I am not a debt expert) it should be statute-barred after 6 years. If you want to know more about this, I suggest you ask on the Debt board.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 14th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 14th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:24 PM
    Will do. Hopefully they havenít been charging me all these years lol
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 10,269 Posts
    • 10,267 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:41 PM
    Your old Licence would have ended at the point when either a new Licence had been purchased or a No Licence Needed report had been made regarding the address in question.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,892Posts Today

6,351Users online

Martin's Twitter