Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harriet71189
    • By Harriet71189 14th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Harriet71189
    Incorrectly linked to someone on credit report
    • 14th May 18, 11:15 AM
    Incorrectly linked to someone on credit report 14th May 18 at 11:15 AM
    Hey,

Just looking for some advice please,

I previously had an account with First Direct - a joint account with an ex partner which he closed down approx. 3 years ago.

Last year, I logged in to Noddle and noticed that I had an unknown person under the "financial connections / other names" section

She has the name first name as me - but totally different surname. I opened a dispute but the credit report agency said the bank came back and refused to remove it.

I called First Direct last year to try and find out what had happened - it was really difficult to get through as I didn't have any of the account details any more - plus they got confused when I told them the name of the other lady as they then said they couldn't speak to me unless I was the account holder.

Eventually I got through to someone who seemed to understand - and he said it had to be escalated to a technical team to see what had gone wrong as it looked liked this other lady had sent in documents to change her name but that my account name had been changed instead!

I was told someone would look in to it and call me back - I never received any correspondence after this and to be honest I sort of forgot and just assumed it would be dealt with (the bank account was empty and no longer used so didn't strike me as being a huge issue).

However - I've now logged in to check my credit report again and her name is still showing. Now I'm hoping to be approved for a mortgage next year and so now I'm worrying that credit scores could have been affected (for me and her) since 2015 now!

Has anyone ever had anything similar happen? Any advice?

I have got back in contact with First Direct and I am just waiting for them to respond. My mum used to work in Financial services and she said I should ask for compensation as this is a huge issue of data protection and should never have happened in the first place. Luckily my account was empty - but surely as they essentially replaced my name with hers she would have had access to my account?

I don't know whether the bank have many any attempt to inform this other lady of what has happened either - and my credit score has not been good until this year so it may well have negatively impacted her being linked with me too

Sorry for the essay!!
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:17 AM
    Lenders don't see your score or rating so ignore those.

Is the financial link showing on any other CRA reports?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 18,564 Posts
    • 19,820 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:20 AM
    Contact the CRA again to advise that the disputed account is still showing.

The other person doesn't have access to your account. It's a reporting issue.

You can ask for compensation if you can demonstrate a loss - but a reduction in a made up credit score doesn't count. You would need to demonstrate it has caused you to be declined for credit.

Make sure you're checking all three CRAs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,375Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin