Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spacker
    • By Spacker 14th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 103Thanks
    Spacker
    Special Guardianship Order SGO costs?
    • 14th May 18, 10:43 AM
    Special Guardianship Order SGO costs? 14th May 18 at 10:43 AM
    Hi,

I've been caring for a step-uncles children since they were three years old, they're now ten (my parents had the boy from birth and his twin sister from age two). We don't have any official arrangement, aside from social services asking us to take them in - they visted once and we haven't heard from them since.

We went to a solictor last week to obtain an SGO, we've not had any reason to need one so far but I don't want to regret not having one in the future. The solicitor quoted between 5,000 - 7,000 which seems rather a lot for what seems to be a straightforward process. Can anyone confirm I should have stuck with A level Law instead of Comp Sci?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 34,035 Posts
    • 40,150 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:07 AM
    Is adoption not an option
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Spacker
    • By Spacker 14th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Spacker
    • 14th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:19 AM
    I still want the parents to have access, I think adoption cuts them out too much?

The mother, as unable as she is to look after them or herself, still attempts to maintain contact, or at least the pretence of it. The kids are not that interested having quite a busy life with after school activities so I feel a bit sorry for her to be honest. Also, I suspect she would fight against that option.
    Spacker (plural spackers) (Britain, slang) A spack; a clumsy or foolish person.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 34,035 Posts
    • 40,150 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:31 AM
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.frg.org.uk/images/Advice_Sheets/19-special-guardianship-diy-sg.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjus8OF_4TbAhULD8AKHUM9AGAQFjABeg QIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1WlHLWVET26DV2TI8lQOqf

Says you can apply without a solicitor for an SGO

Pdf gives in depth breakdown of what is required
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Spacker
    • By Spacker 14th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Spacker
    • 14th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:25 PM
    That's a great link. Thanks very much, at the very least I should be able to complete the forms myself. Thank you.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 15th May 18, 2:59 PM
    • 6,961 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 15th May 18, 2:59 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:59 PM
    It may be worth speaking to the solicitor again. 5,000 to 7,000 isn't unreasonable if the application is contested. If everyone relevant consents then the costs are likely to be lower.

Some family solicitors offer 'unbundled' services where you can do most of the form-filling etc yourself, and then pay for advice as and when you need it, for instance to get documents checked before you submit them etc.
    • Spacker
    • By Spacker 4th Jun 18, 2:07 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Spacker
    • 4th Jun 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 2:07 PM
    Thanks for advice. Will check out unbundled options.

I have absolutely no reason to believe the parents will contest the application, if anything I would expect them to support it. But then, people can be surprising! Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

632Posts Today

5,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin