Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lvl_chg
    • By Lvl_chg 14th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Lvl_chg
    Extending notice period - mutually beneficial
    • 14th May 18, 10:30 AM
    Extending notice period - mutually beneficial 14th May 18 at 10:30 AM
    Cutting a long story short:

We are renting and my landlord said she was selling up. We negotiated to buy the house to what we thought it was worth but landlord declined so it went on to the open market and she served our two months notice. She did however say this may be flexible.

We've since bought our own place but are still in the early stages with the solicitors and have no estimate on exchange yet. It won't however be before the end of our tenancy here.

We've allowed access to the property whenever they've wanted. However, with minimal viewings the landlord is struggling to sell this property. She has said it shouldn't be a problem for us to go past our notice period whilst awaiting to move.

My query is, I genuinely feel I am entitled to a discount on the monthly rent during this (hopefully) short period. I will still be paying the council tax etc whilst I reside here and she would be getting SOME rent, rather than none and be eligible for the council tax whilst the property sits empty.

I know this will rile some people but I've come to learn the housing market is cut throat. There's no loyalty and people do what is best for them. Well a discount is what is best for me. She would be cutting off her nose to spite her face otherwise.

Let me know what you feel. I'm thick skinned
Page 2
    • Bass_9
    • By Bass_9 16th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Bass_9
    At no point have I disliked peoples replies. I'm playing devils advocate.

I reckon I'm "worth" a 25% discount
    Originally posted by Lvl_chg
    Well many thanks for all the replies. It is obvious those of you which are landlords that have a chip on your shoulder, for some reason or another, and those of you that are landlords that take a more sensible approach at things.

Thankfully my landlord is the later. We've agreed that a monthly rolling agreement works best for us both. With my full cooperation when it comes to viewings (which I have done already) I will get a 25% discount during this time.

I have to say it has somewhat shocked be at the attitude of some landlords on this thread. I understand that some tenants can be difficult, can wreck the place however this is not always the case. For many tenants (and more and more going forward. In the generation of renters) this is their home! Not all tenants live in their own mess, whilst not cleaning the windows, mowing the lawn etc as they want to enjoy where they live.

I'm thankful to my landlord (as they are thankful to me) for agreeing you a mutually beneficial agreement in what we both hope to be a short term agreement.

I hope that many others (both landlords and tenants) in this unfortunate transition period are as lucky as I am.
    Originally posted by Lvl_chg
    I'm not landlord but nevertheless I think you've been lucky. Some wouldn't entertain it and would much prefer a vacant house to sell.

Glad to hear you've managed to reach an agreement you're both happy about.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 10,883 Posts
    • 14,330 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Not a landlord either. Just bought/sold a lot of houses and after 10,487 posts mainly on these boards, can confidently say many won't buy a tenanted house. Agree with Bass_9, you've been lucky to get a discount.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 10,559 Posts
    • 12,075 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I don't understand why you are cutting off your nose to spite your face and not making a lower offer on the house which presumably you liked enough to make a full priced offer on before?
    (Unless of course the new one you may buy* is much better)

* "many a slip between cup and lip"
    • Lvl_chg
    • By Lvl_chg 17th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lvl_chg
    AnotherJoe,

We initially did want to buy yes. However when our offers weren't accepted and no negotiations took place we looked elsewhere.

Thank God we did as we found somewhere we actually preferred and was not pushing the top end of our price range.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,308Posts Today

8,570Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin