Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cmozz10
    • By cmozz10 14th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cmozz10
    Virgin 0% Credit Card - Declined after 100% pre-approval?
    • 14th May 18, 9:38 AM
    Virgin 0% Credit Card - Declined after 100% pre-approval? 14th May 18 at 9:38 AM
    Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the Virgin 0% Credit Card offer - I had 10/10 chance of approval on money supermarket.

Any idea what has gone on here?

My credit rating hasn't changed since the initial application and receiving a disapproval and clearscore sent me a report this morning stating it had actually improved.

I find this incredibly misleading, is this an issue with the way moneysupermarket pre-approves or something to do with Virgin?

And I presume this will be marked on my credit score as having been declined...

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4,377 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 14th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:40 AM
    Unfortunatly a pre approval is not a guarantee you may not meet the VM internal criteria
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:41 AM
    Pre-approvals are not guaranteed.

There will be no mark on your made up credit score or rating, but there will be a hard search, one of which will have minimum impact.

Pre-approvals are based on soft searches like identity checks, then when you proceed with a full application hard searches are carried
    • cmozz10
    • By cmozz10 14th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cmozz10
    • 14th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:45 AM
    Ah okay thanks - definitely think this should be explained when going through the pre-approval process by moneysupermarket, but maybe I missed it.

Would there be any risk associated with now applying for other cards with a 10/10 or 9.5/10 rating? Not in dire need of credit, and am now cautious of a second hard search being carried out without any approval.

Thanks for the responses.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:57 AM
    It will say it in the small print - in fact it was also discussed here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5841014&highlight=virgin

You could maybe try one or 2 more applications but then leave it for a few months.

Just make sure all your details you are entering are correct so they match up with your credit files.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 14th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:01 PM
    I wonder if there is a problem with MSE / Moneysupermarket's eligibility checker?

Virgin have their own eligibility checker on their website.

OP have you tried using the checker directly on Virgin's site to see if the results differ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:32 PM
    There were a lot of issues with this card when it came out last month with people with perfect credit history getting declined. A quick call to virgin apparently rectified it
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,186 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 15th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:20 PM
    As Moneysupermarket do not issue Virgin credit cards, I would of thought that any results given should be taken as an indication only.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,614Posts Today

9,113Users online

Martin's Twitter