Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 13th May 18, 11:22 PM
    • 486Posts
    • 655Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Advice on Shrewsbury areas.
    • 13th May 18, 11:22 PM
    Advice on Shrewsbury areas. 13th May 18 at 11:22 PM
    Hi all.

I'd appreciate any advice you have on which areas of Shrewsbury are decent and which to avoid.

I'm considering moving there, I'll be down there next week viewing a good long list of houses. I've done some research online but if anyone could share some first hand experiences of Shrewsbury (and a few miles outside) I'd be grateful for your suggestions

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I'm also viewing in Telford, if anyone has any hints/tips to share?
    Last edited by YoungBlueEyes; 13-05-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Page 1
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 13th May 18, 11:42 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 13th May 18, 11:42 PM
    • 13th May 18, 11:42 PM
    We relocated from Cheshire to Shropshire - Whitchurch so more rural. I love Shropshire.

It's 25 minutes on the train to Shrewsbury and a little more rural, but gogous countryside, independent pubs and shops and good for transportation links.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 13th May 18, 11:45 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 13th May 18, 11:45 PM
    • 13th May 18, 11:45 PM
    A period terrace in a nice market town, that has lovely pubs and some independent shops, in a rural-ish area is what I'm after

I've looked at so many houses, but I fear the ones that fall in my (small) price bracket are cheap for a reason.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 14th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 14th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:30 AM
    A period terrace in a nice market town, that has lovely pubs and some independent shops, in a rural-ish area is what I'm after

I've looked at so many houses, but I fear the ones that fall in my (small) price bracket are cheap for a reason.
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes
    I can't comment on Shrewsbury itself but have you looked at Whitchurch? I can say that the pubs are lovely, no Weatherspoons or chain pubs and they have a couple.of lovely independent restaurants too, like Etzio an Italian and Docket 33, another restaurant. Whitchurch is a traditional market town, and omg the bakery's are to die for and the pies, oh the pies

If it's market towns, the train will take you to Nantwich in less than 10 minutes or to Shrewsbury in 25 mins. Chester is easy to drive too.

Edit: I remember you were looking at Cheadle weren't you too and I'd made a few comments there. Hope you get sorted.

Pop down this weekend, it's the Whitchurch Food and Drink Festival and if you want to pop in to see me I'll make you very welcome and make you a cuppa
    Last edited by todayisagreatday; 14-05-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Edit
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 14th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 14th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:33 AM

Telford itself is not so good for those types of houses - very much an industrial town - right on the M54 and full of new estates. Wellington which is nearby is a bit older but I don't personally like it. Shrewsbury is lovely, but more expensive than Telford way.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 14th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    • 14th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:31 PM
    We're hoping to move there soon, waiting to exchange contracts.
    Beautiful town - we fell in love with it at first sight.
    Properties of the type and location you describe go under offer very quickly and there is very little available to buy. We found we were having to make separate trips to view just one house at a time; there was no point in booking a couple of days away for house hunting as there was never more than one available to view - and even those were challenging to book viewings for.
    Here goes with my take on the best/worst parts of Shrewsbury town itself - these are just my own views,/ experiences and no offence intended to anyone living there! I'm sure you'll find conflicting opinions, so do explore the town yourself if you havent already, to get a feel of the areas.
    I'm only familiar wIth the town and its immediate surroundings. I have no idea about the wider region - although I'd avoid Telford and take a look at Ironbridge, Coalbrookdale or Bridgnorth instead.

BEST PARTS OF SHREWSBURY: Belle Vue, Frankwell, Cherry Orchard, Coton Hill, parts of Monkmoor (Abbey foregate end), Abbey Foregate area itself.
    All within walking distance to the town centre; Cherry Orchard is a bit further away. I personally like Castlefields very much too - it's quite high density Victorian terraces but a nice community feel and a 5 min hop to the riverside, town centre and station. The big downside of Castlefields is parking, which atm is a complete nightmare, and why we didn't choose to buy there. In fact most of central Shrewsbury has severe parking problems.
    Frankwell is lovely but some parts are prone to severe flooding from the Severn. Do your research.
    WORST - Harlescott, Ditherington, Sundorne, northern end of Monkmoor.
    Higher crime and deprivation. However, if you are after cheap ex-local authority house, you will find them there.
    I will also add Greenfields to this list. It's quiet, lower crime, has some nice Victorian terraces at good prices and is about a 10 min (not altogether pleasant) walk to the town centre but to me Greenfields feels a bit desolate and abandoned. It's probably the 'least worst' of the 4.
    Last edited by victoriavictorious; 14-05-2018 at 2:39 PM.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 14th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:31 PM
    Most of Shrewsbury is nice though it does have its rough areas like anywhere. I went to sixth form college and loved it there, live in oswestry now. Deffo be aware of flood areas and don't be pulled in by cheap Telford prices, there is a reason it's so cheap
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296£15171 £15971
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 14th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 14th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:54 PM
    These are brilliant replies, thanks guys

I keep finding nice looking houses, then check the surrounding area on a map and on streetcheck.co.uk and go off them.

I've got a load to view tomorrow round Telford, then Shrewsbury on Wednesday, and Thursday is empty for possible second viewings or new discoveries...
    • FloweryCurtains
    • By FloweryCurtains 15th May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FloweryCurtains
    • 15th May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 15th May 18, 1:05 PM
    Personally Iíd search for SY3 to ensure a good area. The central parts of SY1 and SY2 are lovely but if you search those areas and find a nice Joie for what seems to be a good price, you can be sure that itís in one of the less premium areas.

Iím not a Shrewsbury local but love it and would struggle to live anywhere else now. Even the Ďroughí areas are nothing like rough areas in other cities Iíve lived in so in a lot of ways you canít go wrong. South of the river is your premium though.
    • FloweryCurtains
    • By FloweryCurtains 15th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FloweryCurtains
    *nice house

Struggling with edit!
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 15th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    TheGardener
    If you want to look a bit further out of town it also worth looking out along the A53 which leads eventually to the Potteries and Leek. This is for most part is a good road and reasonably straightforward access to M6 and A50. Market Drayton has a reasonable mix of old and new property but like so may rural market towns is struggling economically but that means property is cheaper.
    If you can find something in your price bracket - in the opposite direction on the A49 Bishops Castle and Church Stretton put you at the heart of an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'
    • shropshirelad88
    • By shropshirelad88 15th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    shropshirelad88
    I live in Telford, and work all over the country so ive seen a lot of towns and cities. Telford is a great place to live.

Very nice areas of telford:

Ironbridge
    Coalbrookdale
    Jackfield
    Much wenlock
    Priorslee
    Lawley
    Doseley
    Lightmoor
    Muxton
    Admaston
    Shawbirch
    Apley
    The Rock

Ok areas to live: (Some parts nice, some parts not so nice!)

Wellington
    Madeley
    Little Dawley
    Oakengates
    Randlay
    Trench
    Ketley
    Aqueduct
    Dawley

Bad areas to live: (top 3 - dont even think about it. In fact, i wouldnt live any of them!)

Woodside
    Brookside
    Sutton Hill
    Stirchley
    Arleston
    Donnington
    Hadley
    Wellington (the asian half)
    Leegomery
    • shropshirelad88
    • By shropshirelad88 15th May 18, 10:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    shropshirelad88
    Also must avoid:

Malinslee
    Hollinswood
    Overdale
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 15th May 18, 10:58 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Thanks for all the replies, really helpful

Ive completely struck out in Telford today. There was only one nice house, in an area 3 estate agents told me was "really lovely, a very nice area". But it was a nicely done up house, but it was surrounded by neighbours I wouldn't say were "really lovely, very nice"....

TamsinC - your 3 points were spot on!

ShropshireLad - the houses I saw today were in Donnington Hadley, Wellington. Coulda saved meself a wasted trip if I'd seen your list earlier ha haa!

Tomorrow I'm more hopeful about cos I'm in Shrewsbury. I'll let yous all know if it's more successful
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 15th May 18, 11:01 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What do we think of this one? Other than - well that lawn is gonna be a bugg er to mow!

I'll ring about a viewing tomorrow.

Edit - a link would be handy!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73073957.html
    Last edited by YoungBlueEyes; 15-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 15th May 18, 11:04 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    TamsinC
    I live in Telford, and work all over the country so ive seen a lot of towns and cities. Telford is a great place to live.

Very nice areas of telford:

Ironbridge
    Coalbrookdale
    Jackfield
    Much wenlock
    Priorslee
    Lawley
    Doseley
    Lightmoor
    Muxton
    Admaston
    Shawbirch
    Apley
    The Rock
    Originally posted by shropshirelad88
    For me 50% of those places in your nice list aren't Telford itself - Much Wenlock is gorgeous but is a little town all by itself for example, as are IronBridge, Coalbrook Dale, Apley and Jackfield. I drive through those places to get to Telford.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 15th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Yeah I was in Shawbirch today, I drove through Much Wenlock. Both lovely areas.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 16th May 18, 6:32 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    diggingdude
    What do we think of this one? Other than - well that lawn is gonna be a bugg er to mow!

I'll ring about a viewing tomorrow.

Edit - a link would be handy!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73073957.html
    Funnily enough that house came up in my searches as always keep an eye out before buying next year. I don't know the area very well but always discount whitchurch as its a bit of a pain to get to/from (not terrible, jut in the middle of many places i go shrewsbury/stoke/wrexham, but not very close to any of them. I remember going to the library there when i was little, doubt that helps in any way but thought i would share it
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296£15171 £15971
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 12:36 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Every reply/insight is helpful cos I live so far away so I know nothing about anything I'm a big reader so a library is def a big plus point for me.

I've struck out down here really. I need more pennies to be able to afford the kind of house I want. The difficulty has been the shock of what my budget an afford - teeny tiny wee houses that aren't great tbh. My new plan is to rent and build up a credit history so I can hopefully get a mortgage, then get a nice house.

I'm going to view a quarter house in Shawbirch and the Cheadle one with the roof issues tomorrow morning on my way home, and if they're no good I'll have to get my map out and find a cheaper area...

Unless a sugardaddy appears in the next few days and/or my premium bonds come up - then it's Shropshire all the way!
    • GrandNash89
    • By GrandNash89 17th May 18, 2:05 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GrandNash89
    I come from Telford and best thing about telford is the regeneration. I work in Shrewsbury but traffic is a nightmare.

Telford may be cheap currently but low unemployment, increasing take home pay, future MOD logistics centre plus old council estates being renovated, live in an area named as one not to live in, i own my home, no silly help to buy, my mortgage is less than £400 pcm brand new house with more being added, country side 5 min walk away, world heritage site 5 mins down the road, shopping centre developments.

30 mins on train to brum, 45 mins in car, central loacation I love it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,743Posts Today

8,835Users online

Martin's Twitter