Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th May 18, 11:01 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 10Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Bath keeps getting blocked
    • 13th May 18, 11:01 PM
    Bath keeps getting blocked 13th May 18 at 11:01 PM
    And it's frustrating!.

I used to only have to use unblock liquid once in a while, but now it's every 2-3 weeks. It's expensive too.

Anything I can cheaply use to sort it please
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 13th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 9,667 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 13th May 18, 11:05 PM
    You might want to remove the U bend and clean it.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th May 18, 12:05 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 14th May 18, 12:05 AM
    • 14th May 18, 12:05 AM
    That sounds messy and hard work.

Is there a bomb I can Chuck down the hole?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th May 18, 4:54 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 14th May 18, 4:54 AM
    • 14th May 18, 4:54 AM
    Have you tried soda crystals and boiling water. My bath hasn't blocked in 7 years since new, what on earth are you putting down there? If you wash your hair in the bath then that's probably the culprit. You'll need to either undo the trap and clean it out or try a 'snake', one of the bendy things you can buy from the likes of Poundland to unblock it. (Something like this https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/plumbing/plumbers_tools/sink_waste_pipe_drain_unblocker_cleaner_18m_plunge r_633481_P27472.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxN_XBRCFARIsAIu fy1YDUs_bzF7t41FSOvBu_91IsivV8lsQbk4yiAoIPBV4DYwWH ZLYwscaApp3EALw_wcB)

Just make sure that the thick end of the snake is thin enough to go through the plug hole. They can vary in size.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 6,175 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:54 AM
    As above, Soda crystals are cheap. Its possible you are only partially unblocking it.

These work.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/sink-bath-unblocker/13894
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 14-05-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 14th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 14th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:58 AM
    Are you using bars of soap? I find that they block the old plumbing here, whereas liquids don't. It's a shame as bar soap is cheaper.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 14th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:21 PM
    No! I'm using liquid wash not soap and I'm a bloke without women's hair!

I've got soda crystal. Do I Chuck a cupful in and throw a hot kettle down !?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 14th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:24 PM

Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    Yes, that's exactly what you do. Leave it to sit there a while, too, before you run the bath, giving time for the solution left in the trap to work on whatever gunk's in the trap.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 4,059 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    Have you got something like this over the plug hole:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Strainer/dp/B01AXOOZW6/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AXOOZW6& pd_rd_r=FB55M09BAZVYE3YVC5E5&pd_rd_w=145On&pd_rd_w g=Q6n8L&psc=1&refRID=FB55M09BAZVYE3YVC5E5
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th May 18, 10:09 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Take the waste pipes & trap apart & clean them properly. Then it will last for years & cost you nothing. It's only soap & hair & dirt & water, it won't hurt you.

The chemicals you've been throwing down it might though.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    LadyDee

We all shed hair, even short-haired blokes but if you're lucky they grow back!

The modern washing liquids usually contain oils which eventually build up in the trap because the water that is supposed to clear the pipes isn't hot enough to actually flush it away.

Try the soda/boiling water - you might find it'll take a couple of tries though.

I regularly do this for all my plug holes in the house and have never had a blockage yet.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 33,050 Posts
    • 19,926 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I use a 3 pronged attack on ours, we both shed a lot of hair and have showers so tends to build up.

The water jet plungers can help a lot, when it gets blocked fill with water then fill the plunger with water turn over and push & pull a few times the pull back is important to get a water flow the other way.
    Might need a couple of goes

Sometime there is a problem just around the hole and just below the bit that stops big stuff going down.
    A good scrub of that bit of pipe with a narrow brush, old toothbrush might fit or a narrow bottle brush.

hot water and soda.

we have the metal flexible snake mentioned above and that comes out sometimes it works with long hair matts in the pipes not sure about short.
    • Jojomissy
    • By Jojomissy 16th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Jojomissy
    I have long hair which is falling out massively due to medication but I find my partners shorter hairs from trimming beard, shaving etc along with the gels etc clog the drains more than my long hair ever does so you could be surprised!
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 16th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    Ruski

I see this on a regular basis

This was a basin waste, approx 20 years old...
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 16th May 18, 2:53 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Have you tried soda crystals and boiling water.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Having recently had a shower tray that kept filling up, I was wasting 7-8 a go on various 'unblocks anything' type drain cleaners from DIY shops where you pour the entire bottle down in one go,.. was a complete waste of time and made no difference,

I then spent about 2.50 on soda crystals and it unblocked it straight away with one small cap full,

Use it every now and then when I remember just to keep it clear,
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 16th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    And it's frustrating!.

I used to only have to use unblock liquid once in a while, but now it's every 2-3 weeks. It's expensive too.

Anything I can cheaply use to sort it please
    We had same problem as you, this sorted it out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monument-3351g-Drill-Snake-15ft/dp/B0002JT3OI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1526482403&sr=8-12&keywords=drain+snake
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,123Posts Today

8,152Users online

Martin's Twitter