Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 13th May 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,353Posts
    • 196Thanks
    littlerock
    is 20mph speed limit in residential roads legal?
    • 13th May 18, 10:39 PM
    is 20mph speed limit in residential roads legal? 13th May 18 at 10:39 PM
    In the recent local elections, our local Lib-Dems campaigned with a promise to introduce 20mpsh speed limits on residential roads in the borough if elected, which they were. Is such a speed limit legally enforceable? and who would enforce it if they introduced it?
Page 2
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 14th May 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Just thought I'd give you that wee snippet of info. As annoying as slowing down to 50 or 40 through roadworks can be at 2am, ultimately it is there for a reason and if one life is saved then it's well worth it.
    Originally posted by liviboy
    Exactly. If people drove sensibly and paid attention, these rules would not be necessary. But we have to protect people from those who don't.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Got one near me outside a school, ludicrous setting off the warning sign when driving at 30mph into the area at 9pm at night, on a Saturday, during school holidays - they have speed bumps there too.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    That actually sounds more like you're in a permanent 20mph zone rather than a variable limit (dependant on time of day).

We have them around here as well as the flashing 20mph when the schools are in/out or at dinner times.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 14th May 18, 3:41 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Madbags
    Our entire estate is a 20 mph zone. It used to be a 30 zone but some young lad managed to fly off the road and hit a tree and kill himself on our estate and it got reduced to 20.

Clearly this chap couldn't have been traveling at any safe speed for this to this happen (or maybe not wearing a seatbelt) and so everyone else has to suffer for things such as this.

Trouble is my partner always sticks to the 20mph speed limit in our estate and I cannot tell you how often she gets aggressively overtaken it just seems to make people angry and drive even worse that she's sticking to the speed limit.

Me on the otherhand, I still drive through our estate at 30 mph. If I get caught for it I have no-one else to blame but myself. The estate itself is a fairly smooth and relatively straight piece of road with a couple of roundabouts so I don't know how this young lad managed it, I really don't.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 14th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 9,860 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    prowla
    I've just driven through a 20 while the lights are flashing school zone and it made perfect sense. Someone did close up right behind me, though.

I was then driving along a 30 road approaching a pedestrian crossing with (my) lights on green and a child started to cross the road; his mum grabbed him and I had slowed down too, so no dramas.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    That actually sounds more like you're in a permanent 20mph zone rather than a variable limit (dependant on time of day).

We have them around here as well as the flashing 20mph when the schools are in/out or at dinner times.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yes it is a 20mph zone, it's just it shouldn't be. It should be a variable zone and as per other comment, more of a penalty for people speeding around kids
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    It was actually the death of a friend's family member that changed the rules in the UK for roadworks. It was ultimately his death by a driver, driving through roadworks on a road he drove 4 times a day (and so was driving in "autopilot") that led to roadworks road layout changes...

That's why in the week before work begins on especially busy roads (motorways, etc.) the cones are put down and speed restrictions introduced. It gets regular users used to the new layout and speed. It is also the reason why reduced speeds are enforced 24/7.

Just thought I'd give you that wee snippet of info. As annoying as slowing down to 50 or 40 through roadworks can be at 2am, ultimately it is there for a reason and if one life is saved then it's well worth it.
    Originally posted by liviboy
    I said above that I think penalties for speeding in road works where there are workers should be double and speed restrictions enforced rigorously. My issue is a 50mph limit, with average speed camera for 10+ miles as you see sometimes, when there is NO-ONE THERE (not even equipment). If it's 4pm on a Friday and the workers are all down the pub already then it should not be 50mph or even 30mph on a 2-3 lane motorway when there are single carriageway country roads that have a 60mph limit that are narrower. It shouldn't be hard to have an on/off switch (or variable limits depending on road conditions) so workers are protected but you don't need to drive at slow speeds through empty road works.
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 15-05-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 15th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    liviboy
    I said above that I think penalties for speeding in road works where there are workers should be double and speed restrictions enforced rigorously. My issue is a 50mph limit, with average speed camera for 10+ miles as you see sometimes, when there is NO-ONE THERE (not even equipment). If it's 4pm on a Friday and the workers are all down the pub already then it should not be 50mph or even 30mph on a 2-3 lane motorway when there are single carriageway country roads that have a 60mph limit that are narrower. It shouldn't be hard to have an on/off switch (or variable limits depending on road conditions) so workers are protected but you don't need to drive at slow speeds through empty road works.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I understand what you are saying but I don't think you appreciate the reasons given in my earlier reply...

The lorry driver that killed the brother was a frequent user of the road and was driving automatically on a road he used daily.

The point of the speed restrictions being in place, even outwith the workers being on site is so that when the workers are on site, drivers aren't in autopilot mode. The evidence, as far as I know, has pointed to a marked reduction in injuries and deaths in roadworks.

I agree it's frustrating and until recently there was a motorway reduced to 40mph with average speed cameras for miles and miles with what seemed like nothing happening...but I suppose it's safer running the whole route at 40 than varying it throughout the works leading to folk slamming on brakes, etc.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 15th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I don't think the authorities can have it all ways. There is not the manpower to tackle all the speeding that occurs so they need to set limits that are sensible and reflect the situation. We've all seen limits of 40mph on clear motorways and after a few miles it says "end" so likely someone has not got around to turning them off. If drivers are to respect limits then they must be set sensibly. Near my house there is a 30mph illuminated sign triggered at just on 30mph. It's like Blackpool illuminations at night as every vehicle sets them off. It is not necessary for the limit to be 30mph but there are a few in the village who would make it 20mph if they had a chance. Nearby there is a narrow lane with no advertised limit so 60mph in theory. You would have to be clinically insane to go at 50 let alone 60 and surprise no-one I've ever seen drives too fast. I think we all suffer from the boneheadedness of those who set absurd limits coupled with nanny state. For sure reckless speed threatens injury or death so concentrate on that not seeking to limit people to 20mph on clear roads with no people because either they haven't made it variable or its because it is in response to local pressure. For those who repeat the mantra that "speed causes death and injury" I would say first of all it is not the sole or main cause, stupid restrictions cause frustration and in any event is the limit that of the man with the red flag? It has to be proportionate and too often it isn't.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 15th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Stratus
    To return to the question, if the 20mph sign is in a red circle then it is enforceable. The rectangular ones, typically found with flashing lights near schools are advisory.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th May 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    To return to the question, if the 20mph sign is in a red circle then it is enforceable. The rectangular ones, typically found with flashing lights near schools are advisory.
    Originally posted by Stratus
    Round this way the flashing light 20 signs have red circles round them.
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 15th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    liviboy
    Originally posted by Stratus
    Likewise the ones with a green circle "Twenty's plenty" type signs are also only advisory and not enforceable...

These ones:
    Last edited by liviboy; 15-05-2018 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Added image
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,219Posts Today

7,211Users online

Martin's Twitter