Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MattyJ87
    • By MattyJ87 13th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MattyJ87
    Can you ignore Moorcroft and keep paying Halifax?
    • 13th May 18, 9:03 PM
    Can you ignore Moorcroft and keep paying Halifax? 13th May 18 at 9:03 PM
    Hello,

My mother in-law has an outstanding debt with Halifax several decades old and on a CCJ monthly repayment plan. She has recently received a letter from Halifax informing her that 'we have transferred your HALIFAX debt to a debt collection agency, Moorcroft Group'. She has received a subsequent letter from Moorcroft recently stating 'I am pleased to advise to advise that with effect of the date of this letter, the administration of your account will be managed by Moocroft Debt Recovery Ltd.'

We have read various horror stories relating to Moorcroft who seem to make it (almost) impossible to deal with them other than via phone.

My question is, does she have to deal with Moorcroft or can she ignore them and keep paying HALIFAX? I've read some conflicting information online. From the letters it sounds like Moorcroft don't own the debt.

Thank you
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,275 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 13th May 18, 9:47 PM
    Moorcroft only manage accounts for their client banks.

Halifax have lost interest in the account and farmed it out to Moorcroft to manage, so you must deal with them now.

You can set up payment on there website without any hassle, or contact them in writing or by email.

She just has to keep paying what the judgement says she should.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 13-05-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • MattyJ87
    • By MattyJ87 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MattyJ87
    • 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    Thanks Sourcrates.

The only way to set up a direct debit online seems to be to go through numerous pages on their website telling them what her household income is, how many rooms she has in her house etc. My understanding is that without Moorcroft asking the county court to reasses her payments they have no legal right to request this information.

Do you have any experience dealing with them directly?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,275 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 14th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:39 PM
    Thanks Sourcrates.

The only way to set up a direct debit online seems to be to go through numerous pages on their website telling them what her household income is, how many rooms she has in her house etc. My understanding is that without Moorcroft asking the county court to reasses her payments they have no legal right to request this information.

Do you have any experience dealing with them directly?
    Originally posted by MattyJ87
    I have dealt with most DCAs (including Moorcroft) at some point or other.

She does not have to jump through all those hoops, ask them for payment details by live chat, email, or post, so she can pay the judgement amount, if they wont give them without a phone call, then stuff them, they will only pass it back to the Halifax.

They cannot enforce the debt further, they do not own it.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,275 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 14th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:43 PM
    In fact if the debt is several decades old, it will be virtually unenforceable by now, due to the fact that once court judgements get over 6 years old, the original creditor must go back to court to further enforce it.

Its extremely unlikely to be granted after all this time, and they will know that.

• MattyJ87
    • By MattyJ87 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MattyJ87
    • 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:13 PM
    Thank you for all your replies Sourcrates! We will do :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,210Posts Today

7,164Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin