Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mookev
    • By mookev 13th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mookev
    GDPR for treasurer
    • 13th May 18, 7:16 PM
    GDPR for treasurer 13th May 18 at 7:16 PM
    I am Treasurer of a motorcycle club. I have been advised that if people do not renew there membership I Must delete there records, however I keep a spreadsheet of subscriptions paid and under revenue rules financial records must be kept for 10 years. Although the spreadsheet only shows names and amounts paid, surely I should keep addresses etc to prove who has paid in previous years even though they are no Longer members?
Page 1
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 13th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 13th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 13th May 18, 8:00 PM
    I am Treasurer of a motorcycle club. I have been advised that if people do not renew there membership I Must delete there records, however I keep a spreadsheet of subscriptions paid and under revenue rules financial records must be kept for 10 years. Although the spreadsheet only shows names and amounts paid, surely I should keep addresses etc to prove who has paid in previous years even though they are no Longer members?
    Originally posted by mookev
    Keeping records like that would be on the basis of meeting the law, not on individual express consent.

However is the law 6 years rather than 10?

Who audits the accounts? Ask them -
    Last edited by anamenottaken; 13-05-2018 at 8:09 PM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    and under revenue rules financial records must be kept for 10 years.
    Originally posted by mookev
    assuming you mean the UK HMRC then no, the rule is 6 years after the end of the financial year to which they relate, often called 6 + current year so in easy language "7" years

the rule for Ltd Co is the same rule for everyone whether company, charity or unincorporated body

https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited-company/company-and-accounting-records

Does your club have to file accounts and pay tax to HMRC? They are not going to be interested in the address of ex members as it does not prove anything. They are interested in what evidence you have for your income, ie bank records!
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-05-2018 at 9:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter