Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 13th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions)
    • #1
    • 13th May 18, 6:42 PM
    Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions) 13th May 18 at 6:42 PM
    Hi guys im new to this forum nice to meet you all!

    I have a few questions about Universal Credit as I am considering making my first claim.

    I have never claimed any kind of benefits before.

    I am 19 and have recently started a new job where I am earning around £1250 a month before tax. This will be my first time moving out from home. I plan on moving out for the first time to privately rent with my partner Iíve been with for 2 years. My partner is NOT a citizen of the UK and is on a student visa with no supplement from our government. My partner does not work and tuition and rent is paid by her family back home.

    We plan on moving to London as this is closer to my work and closer to her university, and the situation at my current home with my family is not good (alcoholic).

    As far as I understand, due to my partner being an International Student Full Time I wont be able to make a joint claim as a couple. Therefore I should make a claim and register her as a non-dependant? I am not sure if I am correct so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

    All I require is a supplement in order for us to pay rent. We will rent a one bedroom or studio apartment.

    Also, when am i supposed to apply, as I do not want to go through all the effort of moving out only to realise that we actually canít afford to rent comfortably without the benefit. Is there a way to apply in advance before moving out, so that the benefit is there by the time I pay the first months rent.

    Many thanks
Page 2
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 14th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    To be honest I think I could come under !!!8216;victim of domestic violence!!!8217; which could easily be backed up by all the police reports.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 14th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    To be honest I think I could come under !!!8216;victim of domestic violence!!!8217; which could easily be backed up by all the police reports.
    Originally posted by 787ol
    Maybe, but we've shown how you can do what you want to do without relying on benefits which you may or may not qualify for.

    Ask for more hours at work, and see if there is work there for your partner. If not look for a job for her and a second job for yourself. Then go flat-hunting and not be restricted to landlords that accept tenants in receipt of housing benefit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

5,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin