Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 13th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    787ol
    Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions)
    • 13th May 18, 6:42 PM
    Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions) 13th May 18 at 6:42 PM
    Hi guys im new to this forum nice to meet you all!

I have a few questions about Universal Credit as I am considering making my first claim.

I have never claimed any kind of benefits before.

I am 19 and have recently started a new job where I am earning around £1250 a month before tax. This will be my first time moving out from home. I plan on moving out for the first time to privately rent with my partner Iíve been with for 2 years. My partner is NOT a citizen of the UK and is on a student visa with no supplement from our government. My partner does not work and tuition and rent is paid by her family back home.

We plan on moving to London as this is closer to my work and closer to her university, and the situation at my current home with my family is not good (alcoholic).

As far as I understand, due to my partner being an International Student Full Time I wont be able to make a joint claim as a couple. Therefore I should make a claim and register her as a non-dependant? I am not sure if I am correct so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

All I require is a supplement in order for us to pay rent. We will rent a one bedroom or studio apartment.

Also, when am i supposed to apply, as I do not want to go through all the effort of moving out only to realise that we actually canít afford to rent comfortably without the benefit. Is there a way to apply in advance before moving out, so that the benefit is there by the time I pay the first months rent.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 13th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 13th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:45 PM
    You won't get any benefits if you earn £1250 a month. As it's full time likely at that rate. What benefits do you think your entitled to?
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 13th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    787ol
    • 13th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:54 PM
    Im working 28 hours a week, housing benefit under universal credit? Should be higher also as it is in london? Im not really sure. But I must be eligible for a housing benefit as most studio places in london are more than my monthly wage entirely.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,890 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 13th May 18, 7:43 PM

As far as I understand, due to my partner being an International Student Full Time I wont be able to make a joint claim as a couple. Therefore I should make a claim and register her as a non-dependant? I am not sure if I am correct so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by 787ol
    You won't be able to do this. See this link about non dependants.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,890 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 13th May 18, 7:44 PM
    Pop your details into this benefits calculator, it will tell you what you could claim if anything.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 13th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    787ol
    • 13th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 13th May 18, 8:49 PM
    I can!!!8217;t move anywhere cheaper as it would be too far from work thus making travel costs more than what the rent would be in london.
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 13th May 18, 8:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    787ol
    • 13th May 18, 8:50 PM
    • 13th May 18, 8:50 PM
    *The rent of outside london and travel costs combined*
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 6,577 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 PM
    Have to work more hours then. It is one of those situations where you are choosing to have a low paid job in an expensive area. Your partner will be paying some of the rent? I am not sure how you are going to find a landlord to let to you. Your partner's visa will require them to return to their home country at the end of their course whenever that will be?
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 14th May 18, 4:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    787ol
    • 14th May 18, 4:14 AM
    • 14th May 18, 4:14 AM
    Her visa will end after 3 years, I don!!!8217;t see the problem with renting? I just needed an anwser to my questions, do I make a joint application or do I list her as a co-tennant on my own application? And when must you make an application? As I will need the money in order to pay first months rent
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th May 18, 6:39 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,890 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Her visa will end after 3 years, I don!!!8217;t see the problem with renting? I just needed an anwser to my questions, do I make a joint application or do I list her as a co-tennant on my own application? And when must you make an application? As I will need the money in order to pay first months rent
    Did you put all your details into the benefit calculator? You may not be able to claim anything because of your earnings.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 14th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    huckster
    Why is there this presumption that UK Government has benefits that help people in all situations ?

Seems to me that a personal choice is being made here and there is no benefit entitlement. If there was a health issue or dependent children or an adult dependent with health conditions that was being cared for, then I could understand why benefit help would be required.

I would suggest that you increase your working hours so you earn more money and that combined with your partners money from their family, should help you live a basic life in a shared house or small studio apartment.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 6,078 Posts
    • 12,919 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Im working 28 hours a week, housing benefit under universal credit? Should be higher also as it is in london? Im not really sure. But I must be eligible for a housing benefit as most studio places in london are more than my monthly wage entirely.
    Thatís not how benefits work. Check first before you make any commitments.

Also look to working full time. Youíre only working part time and have a partner to support.
    • w06
    • By w06 14th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    w06
    A salary of £1250 gives a net take home pay of about £1123, it's not a huge wage but enough to live on.

Many of us have and do live on that sort of money and rent privately without housing benefit help (I have for many years whilst working and as a post grad student), for the past month I've claimed UC whilst job hunting and am entitled to less than your wage with basic entitlement +housing costs+ limited capability for work related activity.

I've just used the limited information that you've provided in the benefits calculators with the address of the first one bed place I found to rent in Barking (£900/month, one of the cheapest London boroughs) that gave you an entitlement of £0/month, without taking into account your partner's income which would reduce your entitlement and so would be £0 again.

To rent somewhere you'll need not only to pay the monthly rent but a deposit of about a months rent, or more, and the first months rent to pay up front, and fees for the estate agent. Even without your partner's family's financial support as a couple you're not living on a tiny wage. Sounds as though you need to rethink your plans
    • 787ol
    • By 787ol 14th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    787ol
    Each time I have used the benefits calculator I have been entitled to around 200 a month, roughly the same registering her as a partner or as a non-dependant. (There is no question asking if she is international etc... on entitledto) I just want to know if that is actually correct or if I am doing something wrong. Over the past year I have managed to save enough to pay fees etc, but I want to know that we will actually be sustainable.

From the calculations I!!!8217;ve done I will be spending around 70% of my income on rent alone without bills etc... this cannot be right?

Either way if I stay where I am now (a volatile household with an alcaholic with police called every week and on-going court cases that do not involve me or my partner) then I am still spending over 70% of my income on travel costs etc... This is not a !!!8216;personal decision!!!8217;, we!!!8217;re not just moving out because we like the place. We NEED to move out so that we can live in peace and away from danger, whilst also reducing our travel costs.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I understand the dilemma you are in, but your personal situation doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any form of payment available to you in the way of state benefits. 70% of income going on accommodation means you need to do one of two things - find somewhere cheaper or increase your income.
    Sadly, your situation is far from unique.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 14th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 11,628 Posts
    • 13,524 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    I believe that you will have to claim as a single person.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/how-universal-credit-works-for-couples/

Give the UC helpline a call and ask them about your situation.( in the link)

The housing element for UC is no longer available for people in your age group so you would have to prove that you have good reason to be entitled to the housing element. Estrangement from parents/ possible health/ safety risk are good reasons so you may fall into this category.

Depending on whether this is a single claim ( shared accommodation rate only) or if they do add your partner in your claim, you may be better off looking for shared accommodation to make your rent cheaper. You do need to take on extra work - at weekends perhaps - to make this viable. Presumably your partner will receive money to pay for bills?

Good luck.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 14-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    • w06
    • By w06 14th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    w06
    don't take my word for it but most international students that I've known are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week on their student visa, that in addition to the extra hours that you could work could add a fair bit to your income
    • OhWow
    • By OhWow 14th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    OhWow
    don't take my word for it but most international students that I've known are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week on their student visa, that in addition to the extra hours that you could work could add a fair bit to your income
    Originally posted by w06

Yes, her Tier 4 visa (for an international student) will say if she is allowed to work in the UK. If her visa says she allowed to work 20 hours a week, that is only limited to 20 hours a week during term time.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 14th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    If the OP worked 40 hours a week he would take home about £1500 pm
    If his partner worked 20 hours a week at the same hourly rate that would bring in about £870pm

That's a total of £2370, plus the contribution from the partner's family.

That's sounds like enough to live on without relying on benefits, even in London.
    • OhWow
    • By OhWow 14th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    OhWow
    If the OP worked 40 hours a week he would take home about £1500 pm
    If his partner worked 20 hours a week at the same hourly rate that would bring in about £870pm

That's a total of £2370, plus the contribution from the partner's family.

That's sounds like enough to live on without relying on benefits, even in London.
    Originally posted by A Nice Englishman
    If his girlfriend's Tier 4 visa allows her to work 10 hours or 20 hours a week during term time, she is then allowed to work full-time when her university is on holidays.

Page 65 of the government's Guidance for the Tier 4 visa holders (international students).
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/688709/T4_Migrant_Guidance_12_March_2018__002_.pdf
    Last edited by OhWow; 14-05-2018 at 1:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

255Posts Today

3,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin