Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DIYGirlz
    • By DIYGirlz 13th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    DIYGirlz
    Deemed electricity contract
    • 13th May 18, 5:48 PM
    Deemed electricity contract 13th May 18 at 5:48 PM
    I'm on a deemed electricity contract. When my ex and I split up, he continued to live at our house. We then agreed that I would move back and he would move out. I agreed electric readings with him at that time. He cancelled his plan and gave them my name. I was working away for 6 weeks after that. On returning I found out that I'm on a deemed contract but also that the readings given by my ex are way lower than we agreed. Any advice please? I am still getting to grips with the emotional fall out, so no judgement please.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:53 PM
    Do you know what your consumption is?

Put this figure (kwh's not ) int a comparison and select the best deal you are offered.

In a few weeks you will be off the deemed contract and another step along the way of the rest of your life.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 13th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 1,972 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 13th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:02 PM
    "Deemed" just means you are not on a fixed or variable contract and the rates charged are very high. You want to sign up for a contract as soon as possible. If the current supplier has a decent rate, that will probably be quickest to get you off the deemed rate.
    Je suis sabot...
    • DIYGirlz
    • By DIYGirlz 13th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DIYGirlz
    • 13th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:06 PM
    If I approached the current supplier and show exchange of emails with the accurate readings (although no actual proof) would this mitigate against having to pay for the difference between the readings submitted by my ex and the actual use?
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 13th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 13th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:16 PM
    Your final reading has been verified by an independent company.

Put it down to one of those things, get off your deemed contract and begin to rebuild your life.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 13th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 13th May 18, 7:32 PM
    Your final reading has been verified by an independent company.

Put it down to one of those things, get off your deemed contract and begin to rebuild your life.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    Sorry, but I don!!!8217;t agree. In the OP!!!8217;s situation, I would call the supplier to say that a meter reading was taken on the date when she !!!8216;moved in!!!8217; which was xxxxx. (Sorry - forgot to call at the time etc). It is then up to the supplier to look at the two readings that it has been given, and make the necessary judgement on which party is correct. I suspect it is often the case that when a tenant etc moves out a false reading is given. The supplier won!!!8217;t know or care that there was previously a relationship between the parties.

OP - I wouldn!!!8217;t just roll over and accept this situation without engaging with the supplier. Just stick to the facts without accusing the other party of anything. You have nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Hengus; 13-05-2018 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

8,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin