Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seperated85
    • By Seperated85 13th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Seperated85
    Divorce, house & debts
    • 13th May 18, 4:39 PM
    Divorce, house & debts 13th May 18 at 4:39 PM
    Hi,
    New to this so sorry if this is a repeat thread.

I am currently separated from my wife and she has moved out of the family home into a new place with my daughter, we bought a house in 2012 all in my name due to her credit rating etc, I don't deny she contributed to the upkeep of our family finances whilst married and in the house together and don't want to deny her anything she is entitled to. When we split we had roughly £6-9k in equity but £30k in debt (again all in my name) which I have agreed to pay if I am left with the house, she is now saying she wants half the money from the house and is asking me to sell the house to provide her with it, what I want to know is if this ends up in court what would happen? I don't want to be forced to sell the house to give her half of it if I'm going to be left with all the debt that's been accumulated over the course of the marriage as I don't see why I should be left without a home and £30k in debt whilst she walks away £3-4k up.

I really don't know how this works and any advice is appreciated, last thing I want is my ex to be ladened with debt whilst she's the day to day parent but then again I don't want to be left without a home and in debt as that would then mean I couldn't afford to buy another place.

Thanks
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6,070 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 13th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:02 PM
    You!!!8217;re married so this can be sorted in the divorce.

But basically no she cannot take all the !!!8216;equity!!!8217; and leave the debt. Basically you are 21-26k in debt and that!!!8217;s your marital assets.

Speak to your solicitor.
    • Seperated85
    • By Seperated85 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Seperated85
    • 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    Thanks for the reply,

I thought this would/should be the case, I can't really afford a solicitor to be honest with everything that I am paying out including child support may I add, I'm paying near on £1600 out each month, of which almost £600 is debt, marital debt at that but I'm apparently depriving my daughter.

Beggars belife it really does.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 13th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    chesky
    • 13th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 13th May 18, 10:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply,

I thought this would/should be the case, I can't really afford a solicitor to be honest with everything that I am paying out including child support may I add, I'm paying near on £1600 out each month, of which almost £600 is debt, marital debt at that but I'm apparently depriving my daughter.

Beggars belife it really does.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.
    Originally posted by Seperated85
    You can probably get a free appointment with a solicitor through your local CAB for advice.
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 13th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    tom9980
    • 13th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 13th May 18, 10:40 PM
    Lots of free info available at https://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/
    “In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 16,804 Posts
    • 41,496 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 14th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 14th May 18, 7:23 AM
    Did she know about the debt and agreed to the spend? My ex build a large debt I had no idea about, mainly stupid overspending on himself, going out, buying expensive clothes (which he said he could afford), spending £5 + on lunches every day, all things that mounted up that I had no benefit of whatsoever. Thankfully we were not married.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin