Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madfistbt
    • By madfistbt 13th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    madfistbt
    Options for isa investment apart from funds
    • 13th May 18, 1:06 PM
    Options for isa investment apart from funds 13th May 18 at 1:06 PM
    Hello, I already have over 80k in stocks funds in my isa wrapper, last tax year i put in 20k in funding circle to get some diversification, the funds are goign to be more long term say for my retirment wondering what other options there are apart from the likes of funding circle or funds that would be more shorter term, say for the next 3-5 years that i could use my isa wrapper for? Thanks sorry im clueless lmao.
Page 1
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 7,147 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 13th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 13th May 18, 3:31 PM
    It's certainly a different approach to getting diversification.

The approach will vary depending on your wider financial situation, eg emergency cash savings, pension provision, property ownership etc

However many people would look at splitting your asset allocation to meet your risk profile, diluting higher risk equities by investing in bonds, typically government and/ or corporate, in funds, and maybe property.

A small amount in gold is suggested by some people, and premium bonds offer low returns but government backing and no risk of capital loss, apart from inflation.

20% of investable assets in one p2p company (how many loans/ borrowers etc) could be termed brave by the more generous.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th May 18, 11:46 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 13th May 18, 11:46 PM
    • 13th May 18, 11:46 PM
    There's an almost infinite universe of stock funds so you could diversity in that area or you could look at gilts, corporate bonds, REITs or even juts plain cash...there's always room for cash in a portfolio.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • madfistbt
    • By madfistbt 14th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    madfistbt
    • 14th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies chums. Yeah 20k actually aeems a lot now for fundincircle. I have a number of funds just worried if i put more in and there's a crash then ill.be !!!!ed. I have 12k worth of gold.
    • madfistbt
    • By madfistbt 15th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    madfistbt
    • 15th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:04 PM
    what will i do guys, any other cool isa optiosn?
    • El Torro
    • By El Torro 15th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    El Torro
    • 15th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:55 PM
    If you're looking to lock the money for 3-5 years then ISAs probably aren't a great option regardless. I would go with the current accounts that pay high interest. If you've maxed those out already then long term bonds might be an option (not a great return for locking your money away for a year or two I think). Or maybe even Premium Bonds, the average return is poor though there's the chance of winning big.

As you say it's probably best to steer clear of shares if you'll need the money in less than 5 years.
    • MK62
    • By MK62 15th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    MK62
    • 15th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 15th May 18, 4:55 PM
    If these funds are mainly to finance your retirement, have you already maxxed out your pension provision?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 15th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 15th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 15th May 18, 6:00 PM
    You could buy say 4 individual corporate bonds x 5,000 that mature in 3-5 yrs time.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 15th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 12,059 Posts
    • 8,508 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 15th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:56 PM
    Find a fund or ETF that invests in TIPS - the US equivalent of our index-linked gilts. Because UK DB pension funds are pretty much obliged to buy ILGs their yields are lousy. TIPS pay more. You might want a version that's "hedged" against currency movements.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

17Posts Today

4,105Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin